New To Mac Any Pointers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZacNicholson, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Hello I have only been using Mac OS X Snow Leopard since March and I was wondering if you guys had any pointers on keeping it "fresh" and in tip top form. I am currently using the following Apps to keep it up-to-date.

OnyX ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html )-- I use this to repair disk permissions whatever else it does... I was wondering how often I should repair my disk permissions because I do like once a day.

Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner ( http://www.northernsoftworks.com/snowleopardcachecleaner.html )-- I use this to do "Deep Cleaning" but I think this and Onyx does the same thing. I was wondering if it is pointless to have them both?

MacKeeper ( http://www.mediafire.com/?rpd0jbvp3awp63r#1 )-- I know this isn't the website for it but it contains one of the Versions of it and I have attached file that will make it easy to upgrade to use to get the latest version for free. But I was wondering if I should just shred everything using this App or use the Secure Trash? I think it would save HDD space if you shredded everything.

smcFanControl ( http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol ) -- I'm using this because my MBP get really hot alot and I use this to cool it down.

AppFresh ( http://metaquark.de/appfresh/ )- I have found this the easiest way to keep all my apps up to date.

So those are the Apps I use to keep my MBP clean and up to date and i was wondering if you guys had any more I should be using or if I shouldn't be using these. Like I said I'm new to Mac. Only been using it since March. So help me out as much as you can! Oh and should I download an Anti-Virus to be safe? If so which one?

Attached Files:

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

personally I wouldnt bother with any of those things unless you have problems

my current mac is running fine after 4 years, If I see any issues I do a repair permissions and check the drive (probably only done this half a dozen times)

just enjoy your mac and let it look after itself

3. ZacNicholson thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

what about shredding verses secure delete. which one would save me more HDD space?

4. Tumbleweed666, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I've been running my Mac for 2 years with no problems, no slowdown, and none of the apps you mention, some of which I suspect, in the longer run, will cause an issue one day, even if accidentally. EDIT: Just to add, I also have never repaired permissions even once. That's something to do if you encounter one of a few rare problems, its not something you should need to do very often, and every day as you do, frankly, that's ridiculous and I use the word deliberately!
    I think you are suffering from Windoze PC disease and thinking you need to mess with it constantly to keep it running, you don't.

I have no idea what you mean by shredding verses (actually its versus) secure delete in reference to saving disk space.

Start with the basics- do you even have a disk space problem? Assuming not, why worry?

If you do, whatever the distinction is, ultimately when you delete a (say) 1Mb file, 1Mb should get returned to free space. If for sake of argument one algorithm returns 99.99% and one 99.98%, really it doesn't matter, thats not going to fix your space problem.

Shredding/ secure delete(just different words, mean the same thing) is to do with overwriting data to make it irrecoverable, nothing to do with saving disk space. But to state it again again, I suspect you are one of those folks fussing with stuff and eventually messing up their computer to save a few Kb when actually they have 80% free anyway :D

5. GGJstudios, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running efficiently, and some such apps do more harm than good. I would recommend uninstalling MacKeeper.
    You don't need any antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    You absolutely do NOT need to be repairing permissions on a regular basis.... certainly not daily! Many mistakenly think repairing permissions is a "cure-all" for problems, but that's not true. The permissions repaired only apply to certain Apple apps; not to every app. Repairing permissions only applies to certain specific situations. I've been running my MBP for 3 years and have never had a need to repair permissions. It runs just as fast today as it did when I first took it out of the box.
    It's pointless to use either. Clearing the cache will free up a relatively small amount of disk space.... that's it. It won't make your Mac faster or more efficient.
    The method used to delete something has no bearing on how much space is freed up by deleting the item. Also, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job. Read this.
    Most apps will search for any available updates when you launch them. You don't need a 3rd party app to accomplish this.