new to mac. basic queries.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dieselee89, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dieselee89 macrumors member

So I just got my first ever Mac, it's a MacBook Air. I have never used a Mac before and for the past one week I have been able to understand and use it for my basic work and needs. But there are a few queries that I would like to ask and I may be adding more to the thread as I encounter any.

Firstly, as I was totally new to a Mac, I gave it to my girlfriend for a day, she installed the "basic apps" for me that don't come pre installed and then left for England the next day so I couldn't get a chance to know about them.
    Well there are few softwares from the many that she installed that I have never heard, Stuffit, Stuffit setup assistant, Stuffit archive manager, Stuffit SEA maker, Stuffit expander, Magic Menu and Expander.
    The other one is Toast Titanium and as far as I know it's for burning CDs and DVDs, considering the fact that I own a MacBook Air and don't have an optical drive, should I delete this app cause I wont need it?

Secondly, after installing MS Office, there's an app there called Microsoft Communicator, what does it do and if it's not of my use how do I uninstall this one app only rather than uninstalling office completely.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any of that. It won't hurt to have it installed, other than taking up disk space, but it's not necessary.
    No, you don't need that, either.
    Communicator for Mac is for instant messaging, and yes, you can install it by following these instructions.

This may be useful:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks

Freeing up space in Mac OS X

3. dieselee89 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much. You always reply the quickest and are most helpful :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're very welcome! Enjoy your Mac!