New to Mac because PC blew up

corinnemunoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
hi my dad has given me his mac as my PC blew up

i have a sony handycam dcr-dvd106...does anyone know how i can get this to work with a mac..or will i have to go back to a PC

thanks
corinne

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That camera uses DVDs, I think, which should work fine in your Mac.

It also has a USB output, which I assume you can also use to get files onto the computer (not sure what format they'll be in, but iMovie should import just about anything for editing).

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You should be able to just plug the USB cord in. OS X should already have any drivers for the camera, if not you can easily download them.

Heh, I wish my PC at work would blow up.:D

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Honestly, mini-DVD camcorders are the single most awful devices of technology known to mankind.

How do you use it with your current PC? Firewire, USB, or do you insert the disk into your CD drive? ...and what software do you use?

corinnemunoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
sorry didnt take a picture of my poor PC:p

i have a usb lead for my camera but the camera is not recognised..the installation software is for moition picture browser which i beleive is not compatable for a mac...i have tried imovies and it just says no camera found

any further advice would be great

thanks
corinne

Lock

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Canada
I think the OP is out of luck. Sony uses a proprietary format where the video and audio are on the same track. Pretty ridiculous.

Here's a dude who had to return a Sony DCR-SR82. He mentions a plugin allows you to view the files in Quicktime. The only thing I can think of is that if you had that and Quicktime Pro you might be able to convert the files into something reasonable.

Good luck.

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
It's a shame, Sony used to support DV format and back in '99 when I got my first iMac, I could plug my friend's Sony miniDV camcorder(probably their first one) right in and import the video to iMovie. This is why I won't support Sony anymore with all their proprietary BS. (Beta, MiniDisc, Memory stick, Blu-ray,... when will they learn to play with others?)

Dublin

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
You could always get an external cd/dvd drive for your mac they come pretty cheap these days. So you blew up your PC, I can relate. I was in the process of installing Ubuntu on my PC when smoke, then flames started coming out the back and vents. I quickly unpluged the machine and beat the flames out with a kitchen towel (nice thing about pc's is the case is almost always open for something). Well damages weren't too bad, a fried psu, a fan and several cables. I replaced the parts and the darn machine started right up, amazingly Ubuntu picked right up where it left off installing (I wonder if the Gates OS would have).

jaimem

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
most of the time when trying to import video from any camcorder no matter the format you have to do it via firewire and not usb. in fact i've never know anyone to capture video w/ a usb cable, it's just too slow!