New To Mac Completely, Have a Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordandmb, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jordandmb macrumors newbie

Hello i'm new to mac and just purchased a MBP 13" and I've been kind of messing around with it and am just pretty much confused with it, I know my way around windows pretty well, but on Mac I fell completely lost. I know there is a whole lot more I can learn with this powerful machine. My question is, is there a site or something that I can go on to give me tips and tricks to help me with Mac, so I can get the full experience of what my MBP has to offer. The first time I have touched a Mac computer was a few days ago when I purchased this laptop.

One more question? does apple have training courses or anything, so I can better learn Mac, and about how much does that cost? I have heard such great things about Mac throughout the years and made the switch from PC and so far I am very happy with this MBP.

Thank you very much for any replies.

Jordan.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Apple.com is a great place to start. Tons of tutorial videos.
    Apple offers one to one training. I think it's 100 for a year.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

video tutorials from the apple site are your best bet imo. i watched the basic ones before i got my mac and after that i just messed around on it and after a few months i understood it pretty well. you'll definitely get the hang of it very soon, it's a great os.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I bought a book on Snow Leopard when I first got mine, it made my transition pretty easy.:D

6. aery macrumors member

aery

I also watched the videos on the apple site, it really helped. Just give it a few more days of use, you'll get used to it quick and you'll love it more every day :)

7. jordandmb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the info, I have had it a couple days so far and am completely in love, I have gone to the apple site, but I could only find a couple videos. Maybe I just wasn't in the right place.

Thanks again everyone.

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Usually people fiddle around with the Mac a little bit in stores before they purchase one...what made you buy the MBP? Just out of curiosity

9. jordandmb thread starter macrumors newbie

We only have one Apple store in Utah and I've only been there a couple times, for other reasons, I own a iPhone 4 and an iPad and just love them completely. I love what Apple has done with these products. I know a few people that own Macs and just talk so highly about them. So It was time for me to get a new laptop and I took a chance and went with a MBP, and I love it! I'm just a little lost on it as of right now, but I've only had it a few days, and I'm sure i'll get the hang of it in due time. I was just sick of PC and wanted to try something new.

Like 6 years ago I was all for PC and my friend and I each bought a new laptop after high school, I bought a Dell and he bought some type of mac laptop. Well now my laptop barley even works and his only complaint with his Mac is the battery, which is known that the battery wont hold up that long forever, so that's really what sold me to get a Mac, and as of right now, I don't see a point to go back to PC.

10. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Rumor is Apple will be opening an additional sore in Fashion Place Mall, (Murray off 215).

There is also Expercom located just East of South Towne (10600). Expercom can help out with a lot of stuff especially if you run into problems, and of course there is MacRoogle! (just search within the forums).

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

12. simsaladimbamba

Thank GGJstudios for this, as my collection looked rather ****ed up.

13. jordandmb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone, this has been a HUGE help. very much appreciated!

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Switching to a Mac is the exact same experience as switching to an Android phone.

It's simple, you just have to apply some patience.

A concept that many first time iPhone to Android switchers fail to understand.

Instead of taking responsibility for themselves, they bash Android as not like an iPhone.

Well of course it's not, it's Android. A different OS, capable of far more than an iPhone. I have both and they each have their uses.

15. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would anyone switch to Android from an iPhone? That would be like switching from a Mac to a PC IMO.

16. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

17. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

DL an app from the App store called "Learn The Switch To Mac"; it's only $1.99 and it's an interactive walk though the basics of snow leopard.

18. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Not exactly... many users can attest that android has apple beat in some areas,,, windows can't exactly make that claim.....

19. jordandmb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again everyone for the replies! everyone has been so helpful.

20. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Windows has more games. Windows can be bought for any kind of computer, and any brand (even apple!). You can't compare windows to apple, you can compare windows to OSX. And there isn't that much of a difference, to be honest. Apple wins because they make both the software and the hardware, making them work together. Microsoft can't do that unless they make a laptop of their own (then obviously the other brands will make laptops based on microsoft's).
    Ok that's off-topic, sorry about that.

What you must know about the mac is: Applications go to the dock and the folder called "applications". On mac you don't use that much the desktop like in windows. In fact from my experience, having many apps/folders/documents right there in the desktop slows down your boot time by a lot.
    The top bar in your screen (I don't recall its name) is the tools bar, changing whenever you change an application (except the apple logo at the top left, something like the start menu at the bottom-left in windows).

A pretty neat trick you should learn as soon as possible, try a single click on any document (image,video,sound,text), then press space. Tadaaa!

21. simsaladimbamba

It is called the "Menu Bar" and has been there since System 1.