Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reissman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I just bought a Mac Mini on the 20th of Dec. We have wanted a mac for some time and were pretty excited when it showed up. Its a 1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo processor with 512 MB Ram running OSX 10.4.11 Right away I noticed it was not as fast as my 4 year old PC so I ordered 2 GB more ram for it "has not arrived yet"

When I mean slow I mean how fast it loads programs. Several times I just sit and wait 30-40 seconds just for safari to come up. Playing videos on the web seem fine like you tube and fox news. I loaded parallels with a copy of XP and that just cause it to run real slow so I deinstalled it. I am wondering will the 2 Meg more ram help that much? Or is something screwy?

Thanks in advance

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
30-40 seconds is NOT the normal speed to open Safari.

You might want to check what you are calling as MB, perhaps you meant to say GB? But if you did installed 2MB of ram, then it definitely will be slow. 2GB of ram will definitely help.

A recent Mac should not be slower than a 4 year old PC. Did you get the Mac brand new?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.