New to Mac. Direct connection to PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by etownsoc8, Dec 29, 2007.

1. etownsoc8 macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac. I need to transfer all my data from my PC to my Mac. I found a USB cord but it is not compatible with OS X. Any suggestions what to do? Should I just purchase an external hard-drive?

Also, AIM for some reason quits unexpectedly whenever I use the program. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just trash it and re-install?

Thanks for the help.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I hope you're not using the official AIM client.

iChat and AdiumX are much better alternatives.

You can give networking a try but an external hard drive it a valuable tool if you don't already have one.

3. etownsoc8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for the help. I am using the AIM Client. I will try to use iChat.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

if your Windows machine has firewire, you can use the Mac in target disk mode (hold CMD T on boot) to transfer files. Otherwise, an ethernet cable is the next best option.

An external drive also works, and is a very worthwhile investment. Format it as FAT32 and get your files transferred. Once you've done that you can format it HFS+ for optimal Mac performance. It's worth buying something that supports both USB & firewire. USB for use with your windows machine, firewire for faster access with your Mac.