New To Mac...DVI to HDMI Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Raek, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Raek macrumors newbie

hi, i was given an old G4 Mini from a friend and i'm running into a problem w/ hooking it up to my display (Vizio 32" 720p)

i currently have my PC running through the VGA/RGB input and it looks great. since the TV only has one RGB input, i'm running the Mini through HDMI.

i bought a cheap DVI to HDMI cable from Newegg. i hooked it up and made sure that the resolution was right (1280x720) and i went through the calibration setup in System Preferences.

as of now, the display image is...not so great. first, the font is not sharp whatsoever. second, the colors seem TOO saturated and too contrasted. almost as if i bumped up the contrast and color on the monitor WAY too much. which it isnt, i tried to bump it down and adjust it.

i'm wondering if it's the HDMI cable itself? i know that Apple is pretty picky w/ 3rd party mice, keyboards and other accessories. the cable i bought was a generic $10 cable.

any help is GREATLY appreciated, as i know that Mac's are renown for their crisp images and stuff...and, i was really looking forward to easing out of my PC :)

thanks in advance!!!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Are you using the same resolution you were using with you RGB PC setup?

3. genmic macrumors regular

I am in a similar situation. Using an HDMI to DVI cable to hookup my MBP to a 20" Samsung HDTV, I got an image like the one you described: over saturated and contrasted.

This was on a 60$ cable as well, so I don't think it's low-quality. Maybe it has something to do with the conversion of HDMI to DVI. I really have no idea.

4. jw2002 macrumors 6502

My previous Mac Mini was a G4, and I hooked it up to my plasma using DVI-HDMI without any problem. I always got a great picture. If you are concerned about the cable, keep in mind that HDMI connectors are rather delicate, and all it would take is for a bit too much torque to internally break or fray a lead. Any reputable brand of HDMI cable should be fine. Don't go overboard and buy gold plated junk like monster cable. Their stuff is a total rip off, especially when it comes to digital signals.

Also, have you checked all the possible input settings on your display? Is there any filtering going on -- I would hope not since HDMI is supposed to display unaltered. Have you tried going through the color calibration steps located in Systems Preferences -> Displays -> Color tab?

5. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Wow, they really saw you coming!

There is no such thing, HDMI is DVI with extra pins for audio and copy protection.

A HDMI-DVI/DVI-HDMI adapter or cable shouldn't cost more than $15. Spending more does not mean better quality, it only means lighter wallet.

6. Raek thread starter macrumors newbie

well...i tried the obvious. i hooked it up using the VGA to DVi adapter and it looks great! i'm guessing it had something to do w/ the HDMI conversion.

now, it's off to the store to find a VGA > HDMI cable for my PC to see if THAT works.

*noob mistake. apparently, it's a PITA to convert VGA to HDMI. i'll try a better DVI cable. bahhhh.

7. TrapOx macrumors 6502

No such thing. DVI is HDMI.