New to Mac, few questions about installing windows on macbook pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maf2k8, Jun 2, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Hey, new to macs here actually new to apple also. I had a few questions regarding installing windows 7 on my late 2009 macbook pro 15".

What is the difference in bootcamp and parallels is it? Does one run like a virtual windows in the background while bootcamp let's you boot in either osx or windows?

I have a xps desktop from Dell that has windows vista pre installed. Now i bought a copy of windows 7 when it was released fro newegg. Now I assume I cannot use that disc and serial, is that correct? Since i use it on my xps desktop? I would need to purchase another copy of windows correct?

With that said, which version do i purchase? 32 or 64 bit?

My macbook pro is pretty much already setup (apps, pics, music, etc) can i still install windows 7 or will it format my HD and i would need to then reinstall everything on the Mac side?

What are the "major" cons to installing windows 7 on a mbp? So far I have gathered battery life being the biggest con, any others?

I bought. My mbp around Xmas time and i must admit i love it..osx is awesome and i hardly ever touch my pc desktop anymore, so what i would like to do is put windows 7 on my mbp so possibly in the future i could RID of my desktop pc all together, that's IF windows 7 runs smoothly on my mbp.

Any help or advice for a boob would be great before i go ahead with this, thanks.

2. graemeh88 macrumors member

What is the difference in bootcamp and parallels is it? Does one run like a virtual windows in the background while bootcamp let's you boot in either osx or windows?
    - Bootcamp lets you boot into either osx or windows, while parallels (or vmware fusion) lets you run windows while running osx. That option requires a lots of memory, so unless you have 4+ gb of ram, and depending on hat your doing, bootcamp could be a better option

I have a xps desktop from Dell that has windows vista pre installed. Now i bought a copy of windows 7 when it was released fro newegg. Now I assume I cannot use that disc and serial, is that correct? Since i use it on my xps desktop? I would need to purchase another copy of windows correct?
    - since the serial has been used, you would need a newly bought serial, or you could try contacting microsoft and explain that you need to reinstall windows

With that said, which version do i purchase? 32 or 64 bit?
    - either should work, i personally dont know of any serious differences between running them via bootcamp

My macbook pro is pretty much already setup (apps, pics, music, etc) can i still install windows 7 or will it format my HD and i would need to then reinstall everything on the Mac side?
    - you would use bootcamp assistant to partition part of your hdd for windows, and it would not affect anything on your mac size, just decrease the available remaining space. depending on what your installing, 30ish gb is a good size for a initial partition

What are the "major" cons to installing windows 7 on a mbp? So far I have gathered battery life being the biggest con, any others?
    - battery life is the big one, as well I've noticed that mouse is not as nice or reactive as in osx, backlight acts weirdly sometimes, and in certain programs, like microsoft office, right clicking does not work

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Agreed. If you don't know why you need 64 bit, stick with 32.

It should be noticed that battery life is less than OS X, but comparable to a similar specced Windows box. I did find it helpful to define a corner as "right click" in the boot camp control panel widget.

B