Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm a new user to macs so I apologize for the dumb question - but is my firewall not being used? Although threats on a Mac are slim, I'd still like to ensure I have my best protection
I see my firewall option is currently on "Allow all in coming connections" and there's an option for, "allow only essential services"

Should I switch? thanks

Josh

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
I thought that was fixed in the 10.5.1 update?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the firewall... I just think it wasn't turned on by default.... (Just turn it on yourself.)

But again... I thought this was fixed by the 10.5.1 update?

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
I thought that was fixed in the 10.5.1 update?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the firewall... I just think it wasn't turned on by default.... (Just turn it on yourself.)

But again... I thought this was fixed by the 10.5.1 update?

I had problems installing the update for my new Mac. Everytime it would install i would ask to reboot, and then when I did I received some kind of error.
I made a thread about it and someone linked me to Apple.com and I downloaded the update directly from the website - this time it installed. Or so I think?
I don't think I got the update. I was told that the update fixes the firewall issue. I see my firewall option is currently on "Allow all in coming connections" and there's an option for, "allow only essential services" I was told the update adresses that, but mine is untouched.
I went to software update to see if it reads my Macbook isn't up to date, and according to software update there aren't any new ones. However, when I go to installed update, I don't see Mac OS X on there. I see iPhoto update and the iTunes update, but that's it.

Is my Mac updated? and if it is, why is my firewall setting unchanged?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.