New to mac, G5 problems :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OCTOPUS666, Jan 9, 2009.

1. OCTOPUS666 macrumors newbie

I've had my iMac g5 17" for a few months. I recently am having problems with it. When I leave it alone and it goes to sleep, it will shut off automatically. The istat says the fans are going and the CPU temps range from 59 to 65 c*... But after it shuts itself off, it feels really warm..

It will not turn back on until I unplug it and let it sit for a little bit. I have taken it apart a couple times to help it cool off, and the processor cover is really hot to the touch! Does that supposed to get hot like that??

I have talked to a Mac rep at a Mac Doc store. He said that it is most likely a power supply/box problem.. Is there any way to diagnose this somehow without taking it in to get fixed? I am kinda short on cash after this Christmas lol!

The thing I am really concerned about is the processor cover (where it says G5). You cannot touch it after it shuts off. It is just too hot!!:eek:

Please help! TIA! -Ian

Attached Files:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Processors are normally the hottest components of a computer, which is why they have their own dedicated fans. The G5 processor in particular is notorious for kicking out a lot of heat. Does it cool off after it has been sleeping for a while.

3. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, It will not turn back on... unless i unplug it and let it cool down without the power cord plugged in.. Maybe its the dedicated fan you speak of? could that be the cause?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's possible. What speed does iStat say the fans are going?

5. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

System: 1600-1800rpms
    CPU: 2100-2200rpms
    Hard Drive: 2000rpms
    with 2 windows open in Safari and the CPU use is between %5 to %30 right now...

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Mine is only running around 1200 RPM right now, but it's Core 2 Duo so I really can't compare them. Running them too fast shouldn't be an issue, though. Are any of the fan vents blocked? It could just be the product of dust clogging the intakes.

7. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. There is no blockage. And when I bought the computer used a few months ago, I took the cover off and cleaned it with an air compressor and air nozzle.. It is surprisingly clean inside and out! It's been such a good computer too! It really just started doing this out of nowhere... :( Im using it right now, and it works fine.. It's just when I leave it alone, it will sleep and never wake up, and the power light goes off..

8. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to diagnose this problem? I have gone to utility and checked the console messages, and I do not see anything that might be a problem in the data log..

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not really. Sounds like you'll just have to take it in.

10. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

aw man!! not what I wanted to hear! lol! Thanks for your help! :D

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Not sure which revision your iMac is, but mine is rev. B and istat reports slightly higher RPM when doing nothing:

System: 2000
    CPU: 2400-2600
    HD: 2500.

Mine is working perfectly after 3+ years of heavy use though...

12. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm... I have a G5 1.6 GHz processor.. IDK if that has something to do with it..

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

some of the G5 iMacs had a power supply issue that caused random shut-downs and a failure to start up properly.......that may be what you have rather than some thing to do with too much heat. If so, it's the onset of failure in several parts. Apple even had a special repair program for the G5 iMac for a while but that's over now.

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Thats a rev. A and those were famous for faulty logic boards/ power supplies.

I guess that is what causing the problems in your machine :(

15. OCTOPUS666 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea that sucks... Wish I had known before I bought it! It's alright tho.. just means i got to get a newer one! :D

Thanks for your help guys! much appreciated!