New to Mac gaming - Which headphone to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Estate, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Estate macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I recently bought SC2 and a new 27" iMac. I'm looking for a pretty decent headset to use with it. Just wondering what headsets you guys recommend / are using ?

what I'm looking for:

- comfort first, covers the ear and good for long hours of gaming
    - with a decent mic
    - strong bass, good mids and highs
    - preferably USB connection, because I don't want to use a usb adapter for analog
    - preferably plug and play
    - surround sound and price does not really matter

I've been researching on the Razer Megalodon and Steelseries Siberia v2 USB, but I'm not sure if I want to miss out on the driver and software updates since they do not support Mac

Any info or suggestions will be great, thanks!

Tommy

2. jakeguy99 macrumors regular

jakeguy99

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The Megalodon's at least fit your comfort and USB requirements. They're super comfortable. I haven't had the opportunity to use the mic much though. I don't know how well the bass compares to other headsets, but the mids and highs are quite good. The big plus with them is they don't require any drivers whatsoever and are recognized as a 7.1 device in OS X automatically (though I'm not sure what Mac games actually support surround... support in Windows doesn't even seem that great).

4. Estate thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been reading up on the mics on the Megalodons and people are saying theres a constant hiss sound in it, not sure if thats true..

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Seems fine to me, but I did have to turn the sensitivity practically all the way down. If there is a hiss I wouldn't say it's anything other people would notice, if you're speaking over Vent or what have you.

6. lwien macrumors regular

Do you need to buy a USB adapter to get the mic to work?

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Your best bet is to get separate headphones and mic. For a mic, I use the Logitech USB mic (pretty inexpensive) and people tell me it sounds good.

8. Stormquist macrumors newbie

What about the Razer Banshee SC2 headset?
    [​IMG]

Perhaps a bit cheezy looking, but I'm in the same boat as you looking for a decent headset and it seems to be my best bet for my MBP and SC2 usage.

9. lwien macrumors regular

10. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

I've had the same set for around 2 years as well. Can't fault them I think there fantastic :)

I ware glasses and I've found some headsets are more comfortable than others when it comes to glasses, but the Creative set are very comfy.

11. pulawman macrumors member

The megalodon is USB only, no analog.

If you can wait, check these out

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.199844900/

They should have an MSRP of $120, so you could potentially save yourself $30 if you don't need everything the megalodon offers. I'm prob going to get these if the reviews are favorable, as I don't need what the Megalodon offers or it's bulk.

12. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

13. pulawman macrumors member

14. pulawman macrumors member

please give us a full review after you use them.

15. lwien macrumors regular

Amazon is taking forever on these. Estimated delivery date is the 23rd, but I read a ton of reports on these and in every single report, they said that they were so damn comfortable, you could wear them for 8 hours straight and forget that you even have them on. Every report I read commented on the comfort of these, and that's super important to me. Regarding sound quality, most all of the reports concurred that the top and midrange was excellent but that there was definitely a low end boost in that the bass was very strong......by design, so geared more toward gaming than critical music listening.

Comfort is what really sold me on them though, especially being that I got a big head and my ears aren't too small either. ;)

Bottom line price was 62.56 delivered. Not too bad.

I will write a review when I get 'em.

16. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I'm using SteelSeries Siberia 2.0 USB, working fine!

The USB audio drivers for Mac OSX from version 10.5.7 and later are bugged and after an hour or so you'll get robotic voice on VT/Skype, so you'll have to downgrade to version 10.5.6.

This goes for EVERY usb headset on the market! I've tried several different headsets, happens with all :(

17. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Any luck with 10.5.8?

18. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

For those with a good sound card, grab the Sennheiser PC-360s :D Very good sound on those.

19. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

No, I'm running 10.6.3 with 10.5.6 USBAudio kexts

20. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

Very easy on the ears, very comfortable. I have a very large head (size 8 hatzise), and have worn these for hours on end during my raiding days.

Didn't notice about the adapter, that being said I used these straight out of the package in my USB so the adapter certainly didn't create issues. Bit they've held up very well, much better than Logitech ones I bought for my son.

21. Estate thread starter macrumors newbie

I went with the steelseries siberia v2 usb version, and so far so good.. they're really comfortable and it works perfectly with my iMac, just that the software does not support OSX. So I'm wondering if there are any good apps for me to tune the equalizer a bit.

Also I notice in SC2 my microphone seems to pick up some noise, I'm not sure if it's the in game voice chat lowering the quality