New to Mac - Handbrake Question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OKBucks, Aug 31, 2011.

1. OKBucks macrumors newbie

I've moved my PC files over to my new iMac and need to convert my video files into something it will recognize - iMovie as well as Quicktime. I've downloaded Handbrake and iSquint and like iSquint as I can just drag and drop but I'm not sure which program converts better. I'd like to try Handbrake more but I can't figure out how to add multiple movies into queue in Handbrake, I'm doing it just one at a time, which is a bit annoying.
    Any helpful advice?
    Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Before you go about converting files and suffering the accompanying fidelity loss, download and install the Perian codec suite and the Flip4Mac Windows Media Video Component. If you absolutely must transcode your video, then MPEG Streamclip should be the first place you look.

3. OKBucks thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to stick with freeware as much as I can and understand that can limit my options, but I believe MPEG Streamclip requires an additional piece that costs a few dollars in order to work with MPEG-2 files, which are basically all of my video files.

Doesn't Flip4Mac and Perian only allow QT to play MPEG-2 files, and not convert?

I will want to edit and work with these videos in iMovie or FCP X (if I buy it), not sure what version of iMovie I have but unsure that it will recognize the MPEG-2 files.

I have a 2010 iMac 27" i7 2.93, still learning.
    Thanks.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I believe that it's not so much MPEGStreamclip that needs the extra software, Apple's mpeg2 playback component, but your iMac. Have you tried playing an mpeg file because I also believe that Lion has this already. If you have Lion of course.

5. OKBucks thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have Lion, not sure I want to upgrade yet. I've tried playing the MPEG-2 as is and the iMac comes back with wrong format error.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

And What about VisualHub? I understand there is a new version around (I still use the old one).

7. MisterMe, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The point that you need to understand is that conversion or transcoding is not a goal but a step in a larger process. Almost every format under the Sun can be viewed and edited if you have the codecs that I mentioned above. Do not transcode unless you must transcode. That said, it is my experience that [some] Windows video applications default to MPEG-2 which is a format licensed from Sorensen. This is why Apple charges for the MPEG2 Playback Component. I have a license for it. My own experience with various file conversion utilities is that none work better than MPEG Streamclip. It is free. However, the MPEG2 Playback Component required for it transcode MPEG 2 video is not free. Most other formats, fortunately, do not have this issue.

8. OKBucks thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that converting/transcoding is a step and not just an end result. I captured and saved all my videos on a PC with PowerDirector in DVD quality, which turns out to be MPEG2, which isn't recognized by iMovie. Most, if not all of these videos are not a final edited version, I was going to do that with my Mac. To do that, I need to transcode to a workable format or don't use my new computer for this operation.

I need the MPEG2 Playback Component to use MPEG Streamclip for this task. Your take is that this is the better of the 3 programs to accomplish what I want to do? Do you know if FCP X recognizes MPEG2?
    Thanks.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Nope, it doesn't like the M2V.

You'll need: Perian, the QT MPEG Component (20 bucks in the US) and MPEG Streamclip. Export it out in the highest quality to a .mov file with ProRes compression (if you have FCP X, this should be on your machine).

10. OKBucks thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased the MPEG2 Componenet and got it installed. MPEG Streamclip will open the MPEG2 files now as well as VOB files, so will iMovie and QT.
    I think I'm good - for now anyway.
    Thanks.

11. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

I stumbled upon a really simple solution...

I have a number of old videos which were transferred to VHS tapes a while back. I also have an LG Combo DVD writer which enables me to dub the tapes to DVD. But I struggled with importing the VOB files into iMovie...

Then, after installing a bunch of different trialware programs, I found that by copying all of the VOB files from DVD to USB Flash Drive, I was able to import the VOB files directly from the USB drive.

So, no need for Handbrake, ffmpegX, Streamclip, MPEG2 etc. Just a nice clean import.

It seems iMovie thinks devices connected via USB (and perhaps Firewire) are a camera. If it makes any difference, my stick is a Kingston Data Traveler 8GB. Theoretically, a USB DVD drive might also trick iMovie into thinking it is a camera?