New to MAC hardware & OS query

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JEB0007, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JEB0007 macrumors newbie

Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask. I have never had a MAC system as I have been a PC man for many years so am familiar with that but I have a friend who has an MAC Desktop system and uses it for Video processing with Media 100 i. This works fine but now wants to update the media 100 i to a later version. The problem is the later version only works on 10.4.10 and above. He has enquired at the local MAC store but they don't seem to either understand or don't care and just want him to spend about £3000 on a complete new system. So I was wondering if any of you tecky guys can explain to me if it is possible to use a later operating system on this machine. The basic spec is as follows

MAC OS X Version 10.2.8
    Memory 512MB
    Processors 2 x 1.2 GHz Power PC G4 ( version 3.3 )

I do not know what the build in Graphics card is but it does use the media 100 i Capture card

Whilst I can appreciate the memory is small and can be easily upgraded, what are the limitations if a newer OS is loaded or will in just fail on install

Any offer of information would really be appreciated

Thanks

John

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You cant buy 104.x from Apple anymore, but you should be able to find a copy on ebay to use. Although for video your friend might want to upgrade to a newer machine.

3. JEB0007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you for the infomation about the non availability of version 10.4

Would you know if that version can be used on the PC spec

MAC OS X Version 10.2.8
    Memory 512MB
    Processors 2 x 1.2 GHz Power PC G4 ( version 3.3 )

Or is there something about the spec that makes it impossible

Thanks

John

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It should work on that computer, 10.4 works on G3s which are older than that G4. Just make sure that if you buy off of ebay you get a retail disk, not a gray system restore disk.

5. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

6. JEB0007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for you experts help Guys. What I will do ift use a spare HD and obtain the relevant OS and see what happens. At least I now know that I wont be wasting time loading something only to find at the end of it it just errors......I could not find any information as to what system could use what OS but as I am a PC user then it is understandable

Thanks again

John