New to Mac & Have some questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CooLiSH, Aug 10, 2007.

1. CooLiSH macrumors member

Hey All ..
    I just got my MacBook yesterday and i had few questions:

1- I got an alert today that there was an update for Windows, when i pressed on "Install" it asked me for a username & password which was set to be U.N: apple, P.W: blank.
    How to change ??

2- When i open the Laptop all i get is the picture of my H.D which i should click so the system will open, that’s it ??
    isn’t there like another way or something ??

3- If i wanted to remove a program totally from the system, how to do it ?
    (In windows its through Add/remove programs)

:confused:

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm a little confused by your first two questions. The answer to number 3 is that you simply drag an app to the trash to remove it in almost all cases.

For #1, why are you getting an "update for Windows"? Are you running Windows using Boot Camp? Anytime you install software in Mac OS, you will be asked for your password. You can change your password in System Preference -> Accounts. If you don't like your username, you can create a new account.

I'm not really sure where to start with #2, could you provide some more info as to what you're asking?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If I'm understanding correctly, that's simply because you've got nothing else on your Desktop. You can always drag things there if you want, or go directly to your Applications folder via shift-⌘-A, or find apps by pressing ⌘-spacebar to start Spotlight and then typing the first few letters of the app, or of course click on your dock, which contains many of the apps you'd use.

4. CooLiSH thread starter macrumors member

Hey ..
    Well no i dont have Windows on my laptop but i still got the update, and i was asked to enter a username & password to authorize the update which was the appleand the blank passowrd and that's what i asked you about.

My other thing was about the pc, when i open it i get a picture of my hard disk, when its pressed the laptop opens.
    My question was is there another way to open it that this way ??

So you mean that if i had any other things on my desktop i will get all of it when i start-up my laptop ??

Another few things:
    1- Is Windows we used to cut & paste, how to do so in Mac??

2- I have all my sites in the favorites (Internet Explirer), how to import them to Firefox or Safari ?
    Which is better to use Firefox or Safari ?

3- How can i add fonts to the Mac ?
    (In windows i used to do that by adding the new fonts to the font folder under the Windows folder)

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

1 - can't answer

2 - that's the startup disk mode where you select which disk to startup on. you shouldn't be seeing it.

I really don't know what you've done, perhaps try and explain things from the beginning, in detail.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Did you get your MacBook from Apple or did you buy it from someone? It sounds like someone set some things differently than the way Apple does it. Don't take this as an insult, but some of your questions sound really odd the way you phrase them, which is making it hard for people to help out. If you could take some screen shots of the problems it may be helpful for use so we can help you more thoroughly. Also feel free to elaborate on the problems.

The Windows update may be for Microsoft Office for Mac, or at least that's my best bet. If you don't know the password for the dialog box that pops up to go along with the Apple username you describe we can't help with that.

As for Cut & Paste, if you have two Finder windows open you can drag them between each other so Cut is unnecessary.

Mac has a folder for fonts. Open Finder and click on you Hard drive in the side bar on the left, then click on the Library folder, then you should see the Fonts folder, or alternatively located at yourUsername/Library/Fonts/.