New to mac. having problem downloading adobe! Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metzy25, Oct 9, 2014.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I just received my first macbook I've ever owned. The first thing i tried doing is downloading adobe flash player but every time i try downloading it, it tells me to close safari and re try. It tells me this even if safari isn't open. Has anyone ever ran into this situation and have any advice? thank you.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Did you close Safari? After you close Safari, click Retry. If you cannot close safari, click Force Close All.

3. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

i close safari but i didn't force close all. i was reading on adobe forum and a user mentioned to press command+q and it worked. is that the same thing as force close all?

4. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Since you are new to OSX:

The red X button closes a window, not the application. Command+q closes the app. Thats the same as in the top bar nameofApplication -> Quit or right click on the icon in the dock and Quit. Hitting the X only closes the current window (like a document) but you can close all windows of an application (like safari) but the application is still running (and active if you look: Close all safari windows and the top bar stills says Safari). Thats a different approach to windows<->applications than in windows

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you have your dock setup to show safari then you can see a tiny transparent blue dot under safari. What it means is that the application is still open. Same as any other app, if there is a blue dot under the app icon then it's still open. Short cut to completely close an app is cmd + q or you can click the app icon then the top left should say the app name then click the name and click "quit app".

6. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

Alternatively, you could click/tap on the trackpad using two fingers (like Windows right click) and select Quit. That will close an app entirely.

7. nudoru macrumors regular

OSX is "document centric" while Windows is "application centric." On a Mac, the window is just a document of the app, closing the window closes the document, not the application. It's opposite on Windows - where the window IS the application's interface. It take a while to adjust - let the dock help you, you'll see the application's icon with the dot under it indicated it's still open, even if it has no document windows.

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Oh I see what you did

When you close all windows, the application is still open. To close it, you can right click it in the dock and click Quit, you can press Command+Q, or you can select Quit in the menu of the app.

(and yes I know others have already said thsi)

9. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

That's guys for all the insight! I'm coming from a pc so I appreciate all the help!