New to Mac - Help with Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by berryberry1401, Jan 12, 2010.

1. berryberry1401 macrumors newbie

I just bought a Macbook Pro and I'm starting to get use to it. But I have a problem with my dock. I want to add Firefox to the dock but whenever I drag it from the applications folder it won't stay there permanently. It goes away whenever I restart or log out. Is this normal?
    I've tried opening it then clicking keep in dock but it still doesn't stay there permanently when I restart it.
    Any suggestions?
    Also changes I make to some applications don't stay permanent either. HELP!!

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

I am new to mac too so I have no idea why this is happening but I can definately say its not normal. Perhaps you have the dock locked? Go to dock in the system preferances and see if its locked

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

OP: I suggest a new thread for the applications problem giving specifics that will help to explain exactly what's happening. The two issues are probably unrelated. For your Dock issue:

Find com.apple.dock.plist
    For me (OS 10.5.8) it is in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences
    Move that file to your Desktop
    Restart (This will create a new plist file in Preferences, set to defaults.)
    Try it now. Better?
    If so, you can Trash the file on the Desktop.
    If not, you can put it back. This will restore changes you made to your Dock.

Next: Log in under a different User Account. (Create one if you don't have another.) Do you still have the same Dock problems?

4. Ardoptres macrumors regular

To make apps stay in the dock, all you have to do is right click, preferences and select keep in dock.

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Correct, make sure you right click and "keep in dock."

Let us know if Firefox stays!

Habitus :apple:

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That works if you open an application, which puts an icon on the right side of the Dock. Keep in Dock will then put it "permanently" on the left side. That is not the problem here. The behavior reported is not normal. No harm in trying the above suggestion though. Let us know if it works, or not. Then try the plist thing, and if necessary, a different Account.

7. berryberry1401 thread starter macrumors newbie

It works

Thanks for all your help! It finally works. I restarted and it was still there. Thanks!!

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's great, but do you mind telling us (and others searching for a solution to the same problem) what you did that you think was the method of fixing it?