New to Mac! Help with iTunes! How powerful is the rmbp 13inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Sep 25, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hi guys I'm getting used to my mbp retina 13.
    It's Just been a few days. Loving the computer though.
    I'm a first time Mac user so am having trouble shifting stuff.
    For example where do I store my music? I stored it in users/myname/music/my music
    And then when I opened iTunes or added it to the library but surprisingly created a folder under users/myname/music/iTunes with the same list of songs again. So my music which is originally only 10 gb is now stored in 2 folders consuming 20gb.having limited storage on my ssd how to I transfer pictures and files wisely and more importantly where shall I transfer them under what directory. What happens if my hard drive fails? Shall I create a partition like in windows?

And I was just wondering how powerful is this computer?
    Being a dual core processor is it really powerful?
    Will I be able to use stuff like final cut pro photoshop premiere pro with easy?
    I bought it and was Unaware of it being a dual core. So have I blown my money on nothing?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Go in iTunes' preferences, in the advanced tab and uncheck "copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Media folder organized". This will prevent having two copies of everything.

You can keep your original music folder, and delete the one iTunes created and rebuild your library.

Partitioning is useless in OS X and has been useless on Windows for quite a few years. Both OS'es can easily reinstall themselves without destroying data. If your hard drive really is toast though, reinstalling the OS is going to be the least of your problems. I strongly suggest you invest in a good backup solution. Every hard drive fails, it's just a matter of time.

Buying such an expensive computer without even being aware it is a dual core tells me you just didn't do much research about what you bought. You bought something without even knowing if it could do what you wanted to do with it.

It'll handle photoshop, premiere and final cut just fine, it'll simply not handle it as fast as a quad core when it comes to rendering or using a lot of effects.

3. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.
    I knew I wanted a mac and wanted a change from Windows.
    My budget was tight
    The options I had was the pro vs air
    Didn't go for the air because of its low specs and screen resolution.
    So the only option I had was the pro
    I'm not stupid to spend money without thinking
    Was just unaware of this fact

Are you trying to say it's not powerful enough?
    I know almost everyone doing intensive stuff on their 13 inch pro

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Powerful enough is very subjective. What is powerful enough for my uses can be overkill for you, or vice versa.

Say a person -such as my mother- uses a computer strictly for online banking, facebook, email and a few google search for recipes. Pretty much any computer made in the last 6-7 years is powerful enough for her use.

Now a professional photographer, making money with his computer, needing to squeeze every minute out of it during rendering so he can work on another money-generating project faster. He is not going to be happy with having a 7 year old machine. He'll want the latest and greatest, to generate more income faster.

Unless you feel the computer is actually holding back your productivity, then it is powerful enough.