New to mac.. how to save files where I want them

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roadkill401, Jan 31, 2015.

1. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Having come from a windows world where directory structure is about everything, I am having a hard time on the mac to wrap my head around what seems to be the just put it anywhere attitude.

For instance, I bought VMware's Fusion program so that I can have a test bed and learn Linux and other OS's. Test apps and not destroy my new iMac install with junk.

I don't know if the software was just written bad, but the only option is to create the new VM in the predefined /Virtual Machines directory off /Documents that is located on my rather small 256gb SSD drive, OR in the root of my external hard drive OR in one of the apple pre-defined favourite's locations.

I would prefer for it to be on my external drive inside a folder I created called Virtual Machines.. But there is no browse function that I can tell to choose a better folder on any of the attached drives in the mac.. nor any method I have deduced on how to customise the favourites section to have locations that I use a lot rather than what Apple felt that I should use.

Any suggestions would be helpful..

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I would contact VMware support. Maybe they have a forum on their site. There is no basic reason why you can't save files where you like on the Mac. I'm not a VMware user but it sounds like this is an application specific issue.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Save it where it wants it too, and then just move the VM to your external drive. When you want to start it up, just double click the VM.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can really do both with either OS.

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

6. cyb3rdud3 Suspended

Exactly that...I use VMWare all the time, and it simply follows standard OS X open/save dialogs, you can choose where ever you want it saved without any issues. There are no constraints other than permissions...