New to Mac - Itunes Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashleyg84, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ashleyg84 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been a PC user and am now making the switch to Mac tomorrow when I pick up my new 15.4" MBP.

All my music is currently on my PC. Should I transfer the music or can I hook up my Ipod to my MAC and somehow have it be added into Itunes? I have done this before where I save my Ipods hardrive to my computer and transfer the files into Itunes - will this work the same on a mac?

Also, do I need virus protection on my Mac? My PC has had so many problems I am afraid to transfer any files onto my mac for fear of a virus moving over.

Thanks for the help!

2. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

Here is a link to a starting place that hopefully will answer some of your questions. Good luck & welcome to the world of Macs.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

If you want to transfer the music from your iPod to your iTunes library,you might download senuti { itunes spelt backwards}

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

In your situation, being new to Mac, I'd burn the music files as data to a CD or DVD and transfer them to your Mac them that way. As you play them in iTunes (presumably), they'll be added to the Library.

Virus protection for the Mac? Not needed really. It's an option for you, eg. ClamXav, but there are very few viruses or trojans that affect the MacOS. The music files shouldn't have any malware with them. Very few WinOS files will work on a Mac anyway.

Enjoy your Mac experience.

4. ymhanna macrumors newbie

I am new to mac too. I've had my MBP for a little over a week.

I wanted to be able to sync my iPod with my MBP instead of my PC, so yesterday I opened iTunes on my PC went to File>Library>Back Up to Disc, followed the directions and wrote the DVD (it should also span multiple discs). On my mac my iTunes is signed into the same account. I inserted the DVD into my MBP, opened iTunes and iTunes automatically asked if I wanted the info off the disk. It was really easy.

I don't have any experience, but I have done a lot of reading and I agree with the posts above, you don't have to bother with an antivirus (as long as you don't download from questionable sources).

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your mac as I am. I'm definately lovin' it!:D

5. Sebby macrumors 6502a

The way I did it was to connect my iPhone to my Mac and transfer purchases from the iPhone. Then I just manually copied all my music over from my PC, added it to my Mac's iTunes library, sync'd, and that's it. :)