New to mac! (left fan making horrible noise )

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BarryChuckle, Jul 1, 2011.

1. BarryChuckle macrumors member

Hi

I am new to all this mac stuff so please be easy on me.. I recently brought a macbook pro 15" and I am very happy with it ! how fast is it :O I'm very surprised that a laptop could perform so well and when playing games too :D

I have a question regarding my left fan, I've recently been travelling and I may have left my mbp on sleep when travelling home. I don't know if this could have been a problem but my left fan seems to make a horrible noise sometimes as if there is something in the fan or as if it's grinding against soemthing, the RPM of the fan is at a regular 2001rpm though ? even when this grinding sound comes out of the console). If I then give it a slight shake when it's turned off the noise then stops when I reboot it :S.

I am sure the sound is not the hard-drive as it's coming from the left hand side of the system, also when I turn the rpm of the fans up the sound gradually gets louder but then stops at a higher rpm.

I may sound completely mad but I have terrible OCD when I've brought something new, especially at the price I've just paid for the machine (Although it was well worth it).

Also is there any cool apps that you guys recommend ! I am really interested in buying the CODA app.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the normal minimum speed for the MBP fans is around 2000 rpm. How, exactly, are you "turning the rpm of the fans up"?

If you suspect something is wrong with your fan, take your MBP back to Apple and have them look at it. That's what warranties are for.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.