New to Mac, looking to buy MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by throttlemeister, Mar 31, 2009.

1. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

I am relatively new to Mac's, and for the last few months I have been running using a hack laptop. I have been realizing that I now am using my hack over 90% of the time instead of my Vista desktop. Since the hack has some annoying quirks which are to be expected with not completely compatible hardware, I have decided I want to have the real thing.

Since I will be using this as a desktop replacement for the usual internet stuff, audio and photo editing, I have decided to go for a MBP. The fact that I got a nice bonus from work to pay for it, also helped. :)

What I have chosen is the following:
    Macbook Pro, 2.93GHz, 4GB, 320GB/7200rpm
    24" LED Cinema Screen

Reason for the MBP over a MB: graphics performance and screen.

Reason for the MBP over a iMac or MP: portability and price (in the case of the MP)

Question here is, did I make the right choice, or are there things I should consider before ordering the stuff?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'd make this one suggestion: save yourself some money and forgo the 7200 RPM upgrade. It's $50 just to upgrade from 5400 to 7200. That's kind of a rip. You can buy a brand new 320GB 7200RPM HD online for about $80. Sure that's $30 more, but you end up w/ two HDs instead of one.

Take the Apple drive and put it in a cheap enclosure to use as an external. It's also handy if you ever have to send your MBP back to Apple. You can just swap the OEM drive back in the machine rather than having to backup and secure your actual boot drive.

Installing RAM and HDs in the Uni-Bodies is brutally simple. Just remove a few screws on the back and drop it in. Both are classified as user-upgradable by Apple too.

3. gileschin macrumors newbie

Happy with purchase

Picked up my 17 last Mon. same configuration cept I opted for matte screen.
    So far I am SSSS000 HAPPY with everything! Real test is when I start working in HD footage.

Tye