New To Mac Looking to MBP for Photoshop editing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flakes8, Sep 17, 2009.

1. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

Will this laptop have enough power to run Photo shop cs4 ?? and maybe run safari or a mail program at the same time ?? I am looking at the $1699 15" Mac Book Pro. Thanks and hope this forum is the appropriate one.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes. That's practically what those machines were intended to do. And the 4GB of RAM it comes with should be plenty for normal Photoshop use plus some web browsing and email.

Now, if you are a serious Photoshop jockey I'd seriously consider bumping yourself up to the $1999 model for the better graphics chip and/or a little extra for a 7200RPM hard drive (the largest one you can afford--the faster the drive, the better Photoshop will be able to use it as a scratch disk).

The extra $50 for the matte screen on either model might also be a good investment, since it should result in slightly better color rendition.

Note, for reference, that in many cases you can buy and install your own hard drive for less than the cost of the built-to-order upgrade from Apple.

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

That's a matter of preference. I am a power photoshop user and while I used to be matte, I'm am now on glossy and wouldn't go back.

if properly calibrated it doesn't matter.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah, I would think that machine would be fine to do some photoshop'ing.

5. flakes8 thread starter macrumors regular

flakes8

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1

I actually switched all my screens to glossy. Better color rendition IMO and I can see no difference in my prints vs the screen since I moved to glossy. (Even when I print matte)

As for power here is what my MBP runs at once:

Handbrake
    Painter X
    Photoshop
    XCode
    Safari
    Adium or iChat
    Mail

And often this will get thrown into the mix:

ZBrush
    Maya
    Logic
    Lightroom or Aperature (I'm a lightroom user but Aperature is much faster...debating on the switch...)

So ya you definitely have enough power. I used to think I could never do what I need to do on a lappy but the mbp changed my opinion. I'll be holding off getting my mac pro tower for awhile.