New to Mac..MacBook RAM/Memory Question..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrismac00, Dec 25, 2007.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Okay so my parents surprised me for Christmas and they got me a MacBook 2.16GHz(I wonder how long they had it for). I have been using PC's for 5 years now and I've been wanting a Mac for a long time. I have not regretted having it and I personally think its the best thing in the world. It had the Leopard Drop-In Disk and the iLife '08 drop in disk...so I had some questions about the RAM and memory or both...

1.Are RAM and memory the same thing? If so, is the RAM on a 2.16GHz hard to install

2. Should I upgrade RAM and will I see a dramatic increase in speed or performance?

3. What kind of RAM do I need and how much is it gonna cost? I would like to go for the maximum..but I'm not aware of the prices so either 2GB or 3GB of RAM altogether, but yeah so does anyone know an estimate of how much it will end up costing me?

4. What brand of RAM?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions but it would be great if someone helped me!
    :D

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1. Yes, RAM and memory are the same thing
    2. Yes
    3&4. http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=265&type=Memory&TI=3327&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. armd.franco macrumors member

armd.franco

i have a different question but i think it falls under the same subject so i'll use this thread... which of the following do you recommend i buy, both are RAM for macbook one is from crucial and the other from OWC, both are 2 sticks of 2gb of RAM but the price difference is of a little more than 50dlls, so i guess that a second question comes to mind, is OWC a good brand? im confused :confused: i've had trouble updating the RAM for my macbook before and i don't want to make the same mistake, so what do you guys think, which should i buy?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I always use OWC for my RAM. They have great customer service and their RAM has a lifetime warranty.

6. armd.franco macrumors member

armd.franco

ahhh great :D thanks, than OWC it is haha i could use the rest of the cash to purchase some iKlear :p

7. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha..I asked my parents and they said they got it on December 17 but from Best Buy..it cost them $1,149.00 and it was brand new.

So, you recommend getting 3GB. So I have to like to take the RAM from my MacBook out and put the 3GB of the new RAM? And how much does the 3GB RAM cost?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I guess Best Buy had some old Macbook stock hanging around then.

3 GB of $74.95 off of OWC. You're going to need to replace both sticks of RAM that are already in there.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're in the US, you can have 3 gigs delivered to your door by Saturday from Newegg for about $60.