New to Mac mini and 10.5 and HATE it HELPPPP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scratchfee, Nov 14, 2009.

1. scratchfee macrumors newbie

ok just bought a mac mini G4, 1gb Ram, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 1.5ghz with 10.5 leopard...

now the problems, crashes when safari gets a little busy, (moved to firefox same problems)

idvd says cannot work with this Osx

ichat icon bounces but then doesnt open up, the top bar changes from finder to ichat but all options are faded out and are un-clickable.

discs never eject..

WHAT the hell is going on never ever had a problem with my 8 yr old PC

Thanks James

2. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. scratchfee thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it is used... idvd now works after update, i had to update all ilife 06 programs but download speeds are coming thru at about 100kb a min !!!!!!! when i have 4.5mb d/l speeds... so i cancelled them all and did just the idvd one...

I have original Mac Install disc with 10.3.7 and a copy of 10.5 but that is on a random dvd not a mac original one..

thanks

5. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I would also recommend a clean install. If you bought it used, there's not saying what the previous owner did with the software. Same goes for buying a used XP machine.

A clean install is an essential starting point with any used computer (and most new PCs as well).

doing a clean install should help tremendously. If the problems continue, there's a larger issue, but I doubt they will.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Clean install. Start from scratch. Also, since the 10.5 DVD is not an original Mac one it may not actually be for that model. Buy a retail copy of 10.5 (should be cheap at resellers since 10.6 is now the current OS. 10.6 won't run on your G4, so don't bother with it). Good Luck. If there are no hidden hardware problems then you should have better experience, though do know that you have bought a very old (in Mac years) system.

8. scratchfee thread starter macrumors newbie

comp seems alot better now but god damm download speeds doing mac software updates speeds of 4-5kbs utorrent 6-8kbs getting 4500kbs on download tests

9. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Is this over wireless or with an ethernet cable directly? If its wireless, are you set up correctly? How many bars of signal is OSX reporting?

10. scratchfee thread starter macrumors newbie

on ethernet... really reallly slow doing my head in now!

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Then there is likely something wrong with your internet connection or your router, not the mini.