New To Mac Need Advice :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamTheeGeek, Jan 12, 2010.

  1. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #1
    Dear Members ,

    Im glad to be here joining this fine community.

    First im new to Mac and i just wanna switich from Windows ( PC ) because i got tired of making high end computers that run a horrible OS. Anyways im here for your advice, Im looking to buy these products below , do you recommend buying them now or should i wait ? because i dont wanna order it today and find out they updated it after 1 week hehe .

    So what i want is .

    IMac 27"
    2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB


    Macbook Pro 13" W/ Accessories Etc.
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    128GB solid-state drive


    im plannin to make this order at the start of march.


    Please let me know what you think .

    Thank you

    Happy New Year !
     
  2. goldstarqc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    #2
    Hi, currently, this is fine, but if you plan to buy in march, maybe they will update it. I would check the Buyer's Guide section just before the purchase and I'll post this question again.

    Nobody can predict what apple will release between now and March...
     
  3. mdjasrie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2009
    #3
    i think the iMac 27' is a great buy, considering it was just released last year october i think. So its pretty new even when you are purchasing in March. The macbook pros.. i dunno id recommend holding it off until the next update and see what apple has to offer. But this is just my personal opinion.

    Like what the above person says, its very hard to predict the cycle of products apple releases.
     
  4. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4
    Thank you for your reply ,

    The first thing i did is check out the buyers guide , its pretty cool and useful , but i wanted mac users advice :) .

    Let me know all what you think ? :) hehe 4k $ + is gonna be spent

    thank you
     
  5. ditzy macrumors 68000

    ditzy

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    #5
    The iMac is fine to buy. But the MacBook pro I wouldn't buy unless it has been updated by then. Saying that by March it might be worth waiting for the iMac as it will only be two to three months before they are due an update.
     
  6. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #6
    Hello ,

    thank you for your reply ,

    im actually new to mac, so i cant really wait to enjoy Mac Computers :)

    im really hoping they update the MBP by then , i really need one by that time because i will be travlin and i dont really have a laptop. The iMac i could postpone.

    so lets hope somethin happens by then :) ,.

    & honestly i was hoping to get an iphone 3gs 32gigs , but rumors say new iphone is coming out in june so i guess worth the wait.
     
  7. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Redondo Beach, California
    #7
    If you need a new computer NOW buy one NOW. Waiting for a new model is pointless and will never end. But if you don't needs a computer now, don't buy one now.

    More important is which Mac to buy. That depends on what software you intend to run on it. You didn't say so none of use know if the two macs you selected are the best for you.
     
  8. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #8
    hehe funny ... ive been waiting for someone to tell me that lol ... i was told the same thing , when i bought my car lol anyways im buying and moving to mac just for point of intrest and entertainment.

    i really liked the imac 27" for the looks and spec wise and the MBP for my travling :) ..


    so i guess i might buy the Imac when i get back from my trip and the MBP before i travle :)


    thank you all !
     
  9. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #9
    Update :


    Guys whats up with the iMac 27" screen flicker, its good i didnt place an order yet , i guess im gonna postpone the iMac order till something better comes out or atleast they solve this problem.
    But for the Macbook Pro , any of you guys facing a major defect ?


    Thank you
     
  10. Habitus macrumors 6502a

    Habitus

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Where ever my life takes me...
    #10

    The best bet for a update would be on 1-27-10. However, updates can happen at any time. I'd say you're safe with this Mac. Also, given your needs, why would a change matter? Do you plan on changing your needs?

    Good luck!

    Habitus :apple:
     
  11. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #11
    I'd wait.

    You could get the 'tablet' computer supposedly being revealed at the Apple event this 27th. Wait for the iMAC till this summer at least and get the student deal :D
     
  12. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #12
    well im gonna wait for the Jan 27 event , lets hope they got something better for me. mainly now i really need a laptop hehe... Mac hopefuly


    thank you guys for your reply
     
  13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

    SaSaSushi

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Takamatsu, Japan
    #13
    I have yet to apply the 27-inch firmware update on my i7 (week 47) since I've had no flickering problems at all and don't want it to cause any. At any rate, that issue seems tapering off with newer machines.

    If you're waiting for the next iMac revision it's going to be a while. The late-2009s are not out 3 months yet.
     
  14. js81 macrumors 65816

    js81

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    Location:
    KY
    #14
    Not to be a total buzz kill, but do you really want to drop four-large on TWO machines with a new OS you've never used? I love my Macs, but I'm glad I eased in. I'm afraid that if I'd jumped in head first (replaced all my machines at once) I may've became frustrated.

    My first Mac was a "toy" to play with. Then I replaced MY primary machine. Then I replaced my wife's primary machine. However, I still have a Windows laptop (useful at times, plus its only for couch-browsing). I don't know how money is to you, but $4,000 is a big sum of money to me. I'd spend it carefully.

    My advice is buy ONE of the machines, see how you like it, THEN decide on the second. Again, this is just my opinion.
     
  15. Corrode macrumors 6502a

    Corrode

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #15
    I agree with the above poster. Grab yourself a lappy and see if you like it before dropping another $2k+ on the 27". Wait until the Jan 27th event, then make the decision on the 13". See if you like Macs, then drop that ridiculous amount of money on the iMac.
     
  16. SamTheeGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #16
    Thank you all for your reply , and yea i agree in what your are saying.

    yes iam new to mac , but still i have a good feeling im gonna love it due to all the reaserch ive done about it seems like a beautiful OS, just one thing that scares me is the new systems defects. im gonna be purchasing them from US and getting them shipping to my country , we have an authorized mac dealer here but they are a total rip off compared to US apple. I just really hope i recieve my future mac with no manufacture problems. I still have windows PC's all over my house and im not gettin rid of em , but yea im gonna buy macbook pro after jan 27 event because i really need a laptop for my traveling , then after i might get the 27" imac and hopefully defect free.

    i cant WAIT to see what mac got to offer on jan 27 hehe xD
     
  17. Winni macrumors 68030

    Winni

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    Germany.
    #17
    Then save your money and put FreeBSD, PC-BSD or a flavor of Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuSE) on that high-end computer.

    The transition from Windows to Ubuntu 9.10, for example, won't be much different than the transition so Snow Leopard. I think it's no exaggeration to say that the learning curve is about the same now. Choosing a Free platform will just be a lot cheaper and when it comes to raw performance, all Free Unixes (*BSD) and Unix-Clones (Linux) run circles around Windows and Mac OS X.

    Switching from Microsoft to Apple is just exchanging one tyrant with another. You won't really win anything by doing that.
     
  18. hwhalers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    #18
    Assuming your software and/or libraries are available on *BSD/Linux. If it isn't, and there's a whole lot of worthwhile stuff that isn't, then the very real performance advantage you get is negated or eliminated. And time/money/effort spent to make it work and support it therein can start to approach the costs of proprietary systems. Of course the OP hasn't even said what he does with this equipment, so that could very well be completely spurious!

    You can't completely discount user interface and experience, though. To a lot of people (myself included), OS X is the premier desktop environment and have no problem paying a reasonable premium to use it.
     
  19. scottkifnw macrumors regular

    scottkifnw

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Trophy Club, TX
    #19
    Wait

    For updates. Speed bumps and price drops are likely soon.

    See Buyer's Guide section for additional hints.

    sek

     

Share This Page