NEW TO MAC - Need FTP access - Safari No Go

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by asuqb1, Aug 31, 2008.

1. asuqb1 macrumors newbie

I am new to the world of Mac (iMac 24 2.8, 4g), so far not the smoothest of transitions, but I am trying. I need to access my FTP site but Safari says I am not allowed. Reading help, Safari can not access non standard IP's, such as an ftp://

Can some tell me how to access mine or another persons ftp:// site?

Is there another browse I am not familiar with?

Thanks, Joe

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could use terminal, or download a third party app like Cyberduck.

3. asuqb1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Firefox works but it is not the best on a mac. I have been able to make it work though.
    Terminal is a program that allows you to access the Unix core. It is located in your Utilities folder but I wouldn't recommend using it unless you are comfortable with a non-GUI based OS.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

6. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Cyberduck will do you fine, just Google it and download it.

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Non standard IP's??? I think you're a little confused on that one and I'd have to wonder about the validity of that source.
    Safari will defer to Finder for FTP links when correctly formatted.

Anyway, you can use any of the posted suggestions, but I'll list them here in order of simplicity/provided functionality:

1. Finder - yes, Finder supports many protocols including FTP, AFP, SMB, etc. Open Finder and press Apple(Command) + K or, click on Go, Connect to Server and enter the url in the form of ftp://x.x.x.x or ftp://hostname

2. Firefox - Firefox 3.0 has great support for extended protocols including FTP

3. Fetch - This program is just that little bit better than Cyberduck and offers more streamlined functionality with drag and drop ala Finder.

4. Cyberduck - as mentioned, Cyberduck is an old staple and you will find plenty of support online for this program.

5. Terminal - if you are comfortable with CLI commands or find yourself in the shell, it can be just as easy to use Terminal for FTP transfers. Use google or type 'man ftp' when in Terminal for more info.

|| links to programs are within the program titles in this post ||