New to mac need help and suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dollarbillz, May 29, 2008.

1. dollarbillz macrumors member

Hey guys hows it going i just converted from PC so i have a lot to learn i got some recommendations from friends that this is the best forum to ask stuff as everyone is knowledgeable and friendly

My question is

1. How do I check the sales guy sold me the right macbook hahah i know it seems silly but i remember when with my pc i could right click on my computer and bam know my specs

2. How do i Uninstall programs hahah i know how to install em after making the dreadful disk image newbie thing hahah

3. Best torrent client for mac and zip program

4. should i use Office or iwork ???

5. Do i really need firefox safari seems good enough

6. and no video chat on msn i gotta use skype for it is there an alternative

7. Any other things or programs you suggests or even tips?

Thanks In Advance

2. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

i've only been a mac user for a month....so there could be other people with better insight

1. click the apple button on top right and select about this mac. That will tell you what your specs are

2. you just drag the file to the trash can. That will delete programs. Or you can get a program called APPzapper and you can just drag the icon to the program and it will delete every file associated with that program.

3. best torrent program i would say is transmission and zip program, i like the unarchiver

4. i haven't tried iwork, but i am using office.

5. it's all preference on browsers. They are all the same. I prefer firefox just b/c i'm used to it from being an ex windows user

6. aMSN supports video conferencing.

7. programs to get: smcfancontrol, onyx, stuffit expander, unarchiver, appzapper, flip4mac, toast, transmission, vlc player, insomniax, Cog

those are just the frequent programs i use

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

1. Apple menu > About this Mac... click on More Info for complete system specs

2. unless they come with an uninstaller/specific uninstall instructions, just drag them to the trash

3. Transmission for torrents, for Zips I just use the built-in unzipping function

4. lots of other threads about this... personally I always use Office except for presentations which I make in Keynote

5. who says you need Firefox, use whichever you prefer

6. No, no videochat on MSN... use Skype or iChat

4. dollarbillz thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the suggestions will try them out!

there is a built in zip feature?? how? lol

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if you double-click on a Zip it will unzip automatically... and if you right-click on a file or group of files and choose "make archive" it will Zip those files

6. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

I use both Office and iWork

I actually use both for different projects. As far as chat with video, there is the iChat, which works great for me. Safari has been great without the use of other browsers. If you watch movies, I have heard people using a program called handbrake. I have not used this one, but people say it's a great program to burn your dvds to a playable format (Quicktime, Apple Tv)

Welcome to the Apple family, feel free to email anytime if you have a question. :)