New to Mac...need help asap!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrtn, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mrtn macrumors newbie

hi all
    i'm new to mac, i have a macbook pro. And my question/concern is
    Do i need to install an anti-virus on my macbook?? :confused:
    cuz one of my friends told me that i dont need an anti-virus on mac's :rolleyes:

2. hrv888 macrumors 6502

same question. lol im also new to mac.
    also how do i uninstall an app? is move to trash sufficient? or is there another way to uninstall cleanly? thanks

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

For the first question, your friend is correct. At the moment there aren't any Mac viruses so anti-virus software is a bit of a waste of time and resources.

For the second poster's question, most apps is as simple as dragging to the trash. I use a program called AppCleaner to uninstall all my apps because some leave behind a few files.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Moving an app to the trash is sufficient in most cases, to uninstall it. Apps do tend to leave behind some support files - these are perfectly safe to keep around, though. For the few cases that can't be handled this way, the application will come with an uninstaller.

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

a move to the trash is usually enough. If you're really OCD you can delete the directories with the application name in /Library/Application Support or in some (few) cases, /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support

Welcome to mac, welcome to sanity. Old programs you deleted won't affect your OS performance because there's no registry to get all clogged up and sluggish like in windows. Yes, even windows 7 has a registry. Yes, it will probably affect the performance of the computer eventually. Luckily, we don't have to deal with that!

registry = fail.