New to Mac, need help with printer sharing...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KingStyle, Jan 17, 2010.

1. KingStyle macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I recently purchased my first mac, a Macbook Pro 13. I love it, and after finally getting my W7 PC to share files, I am having a hell of a time getting the printer which is connected to my W7 PC to print from my Mac. I have enabled sharing on the printer in what seems like 10 different ways, made the shared name as "Canon" and I still cant get it to work.

If I directly connect it to my Mac it works fine, but not via my network which is the only thing that I would like to get working. Any ideas on what I need to change or look at? I am pretty proficient on the PC as far as changes needed, and am still working my way around the Mac, but I cant seem to get it to find the printer.

It is a Canon MP610 printer. I have installed all of the Mac drivers, as well as "additional" drivers on the PC for other OS' to be able to see it. The printer is always on and works fine via my Dell Inspiron 9300 running XP Media Center. Then again it finds it on the network.

Thanks for any insight or advice you can give this newbie.

2. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I had until recently a home network that I set up easily with my Airport Extreme with my MBP and a PC laptop on it. I connected the printer to the Airport Extreme and then with Bonjour was able to set up wireless printing on the PC laptop and then very easily on the MBP. Do you have a wireless router that accommodates a USB printer? You could connect your printer to the router instead of having it connected to the PC. If not you should still be able to set up printing via sharing as you have done already I would think. Did you open System Preferences on your MBP, click on Printers, then click the + button on the left. That should bring up the list of printers available on your network. Do you see the printer connected to your PC there?

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I print the other direction (From my windows laptop to my imac.) I messed with the SMB printing and could never get it to work - finally installed bonjour for windows and it worked like a champ.

Like I said, I am going the other way so I'm not sure it will help you, but you might install the bonjour for windows and see if it works.

4. KingStyle thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally got this damn thing fixed. I clicked Advanced options and I had to use the non-Canon driver, Gutjlejalkeapunst or something like that and it worked!

I was getting annoyed as hell but Im thankful it prints via the network now.