New to mac, need help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Greenbird600, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Greenbird600 macrumors member

Hey, well i finally got my first mac and so far I'm loving it. I did have to questions to the vets however if any one is willing to share some insight. Firstly, is there any way to map a Application to a key, specifically one of the unused f13-f19 keys? I wanted to set up a key to open finder no matter where I am.

Secondly, can any one tell me a little about key chains? I've been trying to get them to work with web sights in safari and so far no luck.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi Greenbird600 and welcome,

Here are a few solutions for problem one:

Switch to Finder (Command-tab), and Hide others (Command-Option-H). Alternatively;

I've used Spaces (System Preferences-Exposé and Spaces) and allocated Finder to Space 1. Get to it by using Control-1. Alternatively;

Exposé Show Desktop (System Preferences-Exposé and Spaces). Mine's set to F5 but you can decide.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Your second question is a bit more tricky. I had a search around and found this article. It's worth pointing out that if a site (like a bank) doesn't want you to be able to save password information, you won't be able to. Keychain is a great tool for creating passwords and saving them as reminders. Secure Notes are also great for storing hard to remember information in.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you could also press command-N after command-tabbing if a Finder window isnt already open or just click the Finder icon in the dock. these open your home folder by default. you can change this in Finder's preferences. theres also an apple script called "Switch to Finder.scpt" in Macintosh HD/Library/Scripts/Finder Scripts that is a combination of command-tab and hide others. but you have to press command-N to open a Finder window if one isnt already open. you could add this script to the dock or assign in to a multi button mouse in your mouse's preferences for easy access.

have you checked that "User names and passwords" is checked in Auto Fill in Safari's preferences? when you type a username and password in Safari and login a window should pop out asking if you want to save that password. this will save your username and password to the login keychain. if there is a lock at the top right of Safari's window like when your logging into your bank account in wont prompt you to save your password for security reasons.