Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelrwood74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Central Texas
I really hope I'm in the right place, my apologies if I'm not. My boss upgraded to a new iMac a year or more ago. She has an older G5 that she needs because it has 1 legacy application that won't run on the new machine. Her old machine is running Mac OS X 10.2.8 - I need to put it in the server room and give her a remote connection to it. She only accesses this app 1-2 times a year so she doesn't want the machine in her office. I have zero experience with Macs and would like to give myself a remote connection to the machine as well, to be able to work on it and gain some experience. Can anyone help point me in the right direction on setting up a remote desktop connection from a Windows 7 machine to this Mac OS X 10.2.8 machine, preferably with zero cost? Thanks in advance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

joelrwood74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Central Texas
Will Teamviewer work with no one on the other end? I need to set up permanent connections into the machine that I can access at any time. There will be no 'end user' on the other end.

----------

Just did some checking on Teamviewer and it only supports Mac OS X 10.4 and higher. Just my luck. This is running 10.2.8.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Will Teamviewer work with no one on the other end? I need to set up permanent connections into the machine that I can access at any time. There will be no 'end user' on the other end.

----------

Just did some checking on Teamviewer and it only supports Mac OS X 10.4 and higher. Just my luck. This is running 10.2.8.
I thought an older version of TV might support 10.2.8, but on checking further, it appears not. To answer your first question, you need someone at the other end to set it up, but then you can connect anytime without anyone there.

joelrwood74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Central Texas
It's in my office right now (server rack is in here.) So I have access to the client and host at same time - I just need to figure out what to use to set the connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.