New to Mac, need some advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by G188ONS, Jun 28, 2010.

1. G188ONS macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just bought a MacBook and I love it, much better than my old Windows laptop in terms of performance, despite the lower spec. However, the main reason for purchasing was that the 13in is small enough to carry about, since I'm training to become a teacher this coming academic year and will be using my MacBook for presentations and all that. I just wanted to know, if I create a new user account can the files from my other account be accessed. Basically, although I will be using the MacBook as a teaching tool, it will also be my personal laptop and the last thing I want is a load of teens rumaging through my mail, photos, contacts etc. I only ask because with my Windows laptop, you had to turn something on to prevent other users accessing my files and wondered if it was the same on Mac.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As long as File Sharing (system Preferences > Sharing) is turned off (doesn't need to be though) and you enabled the Firewall (System Preferences > Security) and use a password for your account, almost only physical access can give other access to your Mac.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. infamousjre macrumors newbie

There is a Shared folder under Users that will let you access files between accounts. If you *wanted* to share files. Not sure I understand your intentions.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The accounts are separate on OS X. (unlike windows which shares a number of things between accounts, posing a security risk)

Create a non-admin account for demos.

Enable fast user switching for your own admin account.

5. G188ONS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Good stuff, thanks for your replies. I always thought that was a flaw with Windows, other users having the ability to snoop through your documents with ease! I already have a personal account which is password protected, so I will just set up another containing all my teaching stuff. Everyone's happy!

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, welcome to the Mac! I'm sure you'll find that it's awesome :D