new to mac need to open port

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gazdownunder, Jun 2, 2009.

1. gazdownunder macrumors newbie

I have just bought my first mac, an iMac 24" standard model. I am operating on the bigpond network and have a 2wire 2701HGV-W router and am connected via ethernet. I want to be able to open a port to enable faster downloads as my current download speed is around 12kbps...it takes days to get a movie. I am not very computer literate, so if anyone can help me please make the instructions idotproof as i am in that category.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

By default, all ports are open (sad but true.)

I think what you mean is that you're using bittorrent and you need to forward a port.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If your router has PnP, you can use Transmission and it will open ports automatically.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Portforward.com is a great site. It has in depth, easy to understand guides with screenshots for about every router imaginable. Try that out and see how far you get. Also, make sure on your bittorrent client the connection is set to use the port you choose when you do the port-forwarding on your router, if you don't then there is no use port forwarding.

I use Vuze (Azureus) and for that you just go to preferences-->connection-->and just set the port you have set up with port forwarding. I also recommend Vuze as a bittorrent client because it has many useful features and has a great interface.

6. gazdownunder thread starter macrumors newbie

Port forward.com

I have had a look at port forward. com but don't understand what it means when it says i have to set up a static ip address for my mac and how do i know what the number is of the port i open?
    Probably silly questions but as i said i'm not computer literate!!!!

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It has to do with your 2WIRE modem (which I suggest replacing if at all possible, which isn't easy if it is a modem/router combo provided from your ISP for wireless service).

Use Google

One result: here. Just change the port numbers the guide uses with the ones that your particular downloading application uses (it will be noted in its preferences).