Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarr08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Hi, everyone. I need to install XP on my new macbook, as my school will not support mac OS and they provide some software that's not compatible. So, I'm running through the install process with Boot Camp, updated to latest firmware, partitioned the HD (10 GB for XP), and go to actually install winXP. I go to the blue screen where it says it's loading all the files, but when (according to the instructions that come with Boot Camp) it should let me select the partition to install it to, it skips that and instead says "Starting Windows" or something to that effect. Then, I get the BSOD. Any idea why I'm not able to select the partition and proceed like the setup instructions say I should? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

jbarr

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
When you say it says "Starting Windows", do you mean it says that down at the bottom of the blue-and-white text loading screen after it's finished loading a whole mess of drivers? If so, this is what it should say--it hasn't skipped anything, it's just booting into the installer (which, I suppose, is technically running in Windows, though it doesn't look at all like it).

This being the case, it's crashing once it tries to load the installer for some reason. The only thing I can think of to try offhand are to make sure you don't have any peripherals plugged in. If that doesn't work, maybe go back to the BootCamp installer, delete the Windows partition, restart, and try recreating the Windows partition, and then try it. Maybe something got screwed up the first time, and that'll clean it up. Worth a try, anyway.

If you're seeing the black screen with the logo that says Starting Windows, then that's just weird--you shouldn't see that until you've finished the first half of the install, and I have no idea what is going on.

jbarr08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Still not working... any other ideas?

Yes, it's as the first issue you described. I've un-parsed and re-parsed the drive a couple of times, downloaded BC again, and still nothing. Is there a problem with my copy of Windows, do you think?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
treblah said:
Just to make sure, you are trying to install SP2 right?
To further clarify this statement. Boot Camp only supports installation of XP SP2 (Home or Pro).

It has been reported that this kind of problem can occur when the CD you are trying to install from predates SP2. If that's the source of your problems, download SP2, and create a slipstreamed version of the install CD that includes SP2.

B

iCeQuBe

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
CT
balamw said:
To further clarify this statement. Boot Camp only supports installation of XP SP2 (Home or Pro).

It has been reported that this kind of problem can occur when the CD you are trying to install from predates SP2. If that's the source of your problems, download SP2, and create a slipstreamed version of the install CD that includes SP2.

B

Either that or the CD being used is an unattended installation of windows, which can cause havok as well. Make sure it is a standard XP SP 2 disk that you are trying to install from.

jbarr08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Yep, it's SP2...

Bought it brand new from Amazon.com, made sure it was a SP2 disk. Thanks for the attention to my problem. Still trying to work it out.

iCeQuBe

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
CT
jbarr08 said:
Bought it brand new from Amazon.com, made sure it was a SP2 disk. Thanks for the attention to my problem. Still trying to work it out.

Can you get ahold of another XP SP2 disk from someone? A friend perhaps? That way you can see if there is a problem with your CD or your PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.