New to Mac, new MBP Owner, What Next?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grapii, May 5, 2010.

1. grapii macrumors member

Hi All,

So I finally switch after being a Windows user for over 15 years, I finally received my new MBP 17" i7 yesterday. Everything so far is sweet and I'm just fumbling my way around the OS and Apps.

My question is what next?

are there any must have applications, utilities or settings I should get or make?

I'm a normal user, so surfing, emailing, bit of work (already got iWork), photo management and editing home movies for which I already got iLife.

I've also installed Perian, so that I can watch divx movies via quicktime.

Apart from that, it's bog standard. Anything else I should do or get?

Suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It makes more sense to wait until you have a need and then ask a specific question. You're casting the net a bit wide as it is :p

http://mroogle.*************/

Bookmark the forum search engine. You can find answers to questions a lot faster using that.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Something I recommend to EVERY new mac user: if you see it, click it!

Click around! Click everything! Test how things work! Drag, right-click, maybe Option-click. You won't know how things work if you don't twist some knobs and tap some tubes :p

Google and MRoogle will be your best friends in these early days. I was a natural on MacOS after about five days, know how? Forget everything you know about Windows! I had used Windows for twelve years before switching. I simply forgot all of the abstract nonsense and let it come natural.

When you want to do something new, say remove an icon from the Dock, just think! "What's the most straight-forward approach?" Dragging the icon off of the Dock accomplishes this, as you might have guessed :p

I recommend you open the System Preferences, first, and click each button and configure each preference. Here, you will come across terms and components that will prompt you to rack your brain and search Google, where you will learn everything about your new system.

Enjoy :D