New to Mac, New to the site

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QuickSilver08, Mar 30, 2009.

1. QuickSilver08 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! My name is Floyd and I live in Maryland (Someone please direct me to an introduction thread if there is one) Any how, my new iMac is on order and I have a couple questions. First, any MUST KNOW Mac tips and tricks? Second, I am currently on a Vista Machine and I have the 1TB TC. I would like to transfer some of my files from my PC to my new Mac. What would be the best way to do this? I have window backup files on the TC, but dont think I am able to "unzip" or "restore" them to the Mac.

Thanks in advance!

-Floyd

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Time Capsule will work for transferring your data, if you lack a suitable external drive, as long as you have less than about 400 GB to transfer (unless of course you have the 1TB TC).

Some Mac tips:
    Study the Keyboard Preference Pane, shortcuts section. This is a useful reference for all kinds of system-wide shortcuts you can use (and disable if you find them not to your liking, or even remap them).
    Installing programs on the Mac is generally much simpler than on Windows. There are two kinds of installers: Drag-to-install (where all you do is drag the application to the Applications folder) and install wizards (where you follow the steps in the wizard, then let it do its thing).
    Uninstalling programs is equally simple. For a drag-install program, just drag the application to the trash. That's it! Wizard-based programs typically come with uninstallers.

3. QuickSilver08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay...cool. I love shortcuts!

So...as for transfering files, what should I do? I guess copy the folders with the files I want and transfer those onto the TC? Is there any software that will bundle all the files I have on my PC that are compatible with Mac or is this going to be a manual process? Sorry for all the questions, Im just done with Windows/PC/Vista whatever you want to call it!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes - that's exactly what I'd do. Dump all the folders with files you want on the TC, then retrieve them from the Mac.

As for determining what's compatible and what isn't, that's a lot harder. I don't know of a program that can do this for you, alas, but here's some useful tips:
    • DRM'd Windows Media files will NOT work on your Mac
    • Most other audio and video files will work, with a suitable player or codec

5. QuickSilver08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thank you! I appreciate the help and time!