New to Mac... no happy dance here (yet) :-/

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jessejane, Sep 5, 2011.

1. jessejane macrumors newbie

We just made the switch to iMac (Mac OS x Lion 10.7.1 - 2.5GHz - 4MB - 21")

Love it ... when it works!

About 20% of the web pages I go to will not load... the blue load bar gets about quarter to mid way across and just stops!
    Sometimes I can close the window and try again and it will load... but that is rare. First started with YouTube... but have that fixed *do not let Silver Light on your Mac*.
    This happens on a daily bases... for an example, here are a couple of local news web sites that I tried to get on this morning:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/

http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/

Any advise... maybe something I am doing wrong? PC habits die hard!!

Thanks ... jj :D

2. Cursed macrumors member

Is this in Safari? Have you tried using a different web browser? (Firefox, Chrome etc.). They both load fine for me on Firefox.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I didn't have any problems with the URL's you provided, the loaded very quickly. If you are having difficulties then use your AppleCare, you have 90 days of free telephone support. The US number is 800-275-2273 and they're open M-Saturday. Some basics to look at are the channel your router is on and what channels your neighbors are using, in other words you may have a channel conflict. If AppleCare cannot locate the issue on the first try ask for the case to be escalated.

Because you are a recent switcher I'd strongly recommend bookmarking and using:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://support.apple.com/videos/#macosx106

4. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

Fair bit of flash in those pages, do you have that installed?

5. VeganHipster macrumors regular

You probably don't have flash installed. I think Lion doesn't include it when you install, you will have to go to Adobe and download it and see if that is your problem. If not, I am going to assume you have AppleCare, bring it and see what's wrong or just replace it for a brand new one.

6. Texran macrumors regular

The pages loaded fine on my iPad, so it's not flash related. I think it's a Internet connection issue.

7. jessejane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the responses... I did download Adobe Flash (was not there as you suggested) and Chrome did not do to well. Might go with Foxfire.
    I will hardwire to the internet for a while to see that relieves me of these issues as well. The WiFi always has full bars... but will still try it.

I will try all of the above... and again thank you very much... last ditch effort would be going to an Apple store with my iMac to see if they can fix.

..jj.. :apple:;)

8. TerenceW macrumors member

I'm also new to Mac and sometimes get that same issue. Also, i occasionally get the message that Safari could not find the web page. It usually works on the send or third attempt and downs't happen enough to be of concern.

I've just assumed it's a 'Mac thing' and is trivia in comparison to the 'Windows 7 things' I was experiencing until a fortnight ago when I switched.

When you get used to the Mac way of doing things THEN you'll do the happy dance!

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its definitely not a Mac thing! As per the above responses.

10. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Its not an issue that I have ever had with any mac back to 1989. It was always the internet connection.

Call Apple. I know that you may not be used to real customer service, but you will get it from the the Apple number. Don't use them as a last resort, use them as a first resort. Apple is rolling in cash and can afford to provide second to none support.

My Brother in law called for support on a 1992 model iMac, and got it!! Try that with Dell!!

11. TerenceW macrumors member

Yes, I did call Apple. Excellent support but were pretty insistent that the problem is in my internet connection... odd think is, that the internet connection was about the one thing that was ultra-reliable on my Windows 7 machine!

I can live with it, though, rather than trying to cart all 27" of iMac through to the second floor of a large shopping mall, which is where my nearest Apple shop is located.

And I LOVE the machine!

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Have you connected to the ethernet port to bypass the wifi as an issue yet?

There have been reports on this forum about inconsistent wifi connectivity when running Lion.

Cheers,

13. davidhaynes macrumors newbie

Also look what order your internet connection is coming in. It is under System preferences. I agree it is always the internet connection. Unless, you are syncing up with google music, that can really drag you down.

14. TerenceW macrumors member

I'm already on a wired connection - I like the speed in comparison to wi-fi - and I'm not synced with Google music, either. SO a mystery it shall remain, I dare say. Anyway I just wanted to reassure the OP that her Mac is definitely worth the Happy Dance!