New to Mac or Not sure where to post? Yeah, thats me. Help Wanted.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nick2, Jun 23, 2015.

1. nick2, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

nick2 macrumors newbie

nick2

Members of Mac Rumors,
    Longtime, "lurker," first time poster. Joined a long time ago to look at rumors and comment on things. But, let's make a long story short. First, this post will be about hardware damage (water damage) to my macbook pro retina 13", which I purchased in July of last year, 2014. If I am posting in the wrong forum or section, let me know and I will be glad to move it.
    The 13th of June I was taking a test online, and spilled some water near the meeting point of the keyboard and the screen. I would estimate roughly 4 ounces of water. I had never damaged any apple product with water over the years, whether it be a macbook, iphone, ipad, etc. I let the computer sit for five minutes, and it shut off and wouldn't reboot. Looking back, I know now through research I should have shut it off instantly. I took a hair dryer to it, and let it sit upside down until Tuesday, the 16th of June.

Then, the 16th of June It started up, but did not make the usual start up noise or white screen, rather the apple logo with a loading bar. Perhaps this is now the way it should be, I am not sure. The magic trackpad did not work at this time, and I found an old wireless mouse which I plugged in and it worked. All keys were functional, along with sound. Everything loaded extremely slow, and continued this way for about half an hour. Finder would become unresponsive, however it would reload. My browser and programs would open, but would also be slow. I also noticed what I would describe as a jet engine sound coming from the fans, this had never happened prior to the water damage.

I waited another week until today, and thought I was in the clear. It started up once again with the black apple logo and loading bar right below. The fans did not kick on instantly, but the trackpad still did not work. I used the wireless mouse, and typed in my password to log in, not at all slow like before. I booted up a few programs, without any issues. I tested the sound, keyboard, and all other hardware features completely. Once again, the only feature that was not functional was the trackpad, which I can live with. After about 15 minutes, I decided to let it sit. I came back to find the same problems had begun again. All programs were running slow, finder would become unresponsive after a period of time, and the keyboard would become, "laggy." I would type and the letters would not instantly pop on whatever I was typing in like normal. The fans also kicked on full blast again, but did not when I first started the computer. I am hoping some in this forum may have some ideas as to how to fix this problem or what to do. I am hopeful that the computer is not a total loss, as like I said it worked for about 15 minutes. I have some knowledge with mac programs etc., but decided for a $1200 dollar investment, it was time to turn to you all for help. Once again, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, message me or reply below and I will be glad to remove it all together, or repost it wherever it needs to go. Sorry for any typos as well.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Edit: Broken into paragraphs.

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I didn't see any major typos but you really need to break up your post into paragraphs, it's really hard to follow what you're saying because it's a big text wall.

3. nick2 thread starter macrumors newbie

nick2

Done, thank you.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You can take it in to a service provider for a quote, but at this point you've done much more harm than good. Your logic board is likely on its way out.