New to Mac OS, download locationHelp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dumb, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dumb macrumors member

Hi, been a long time reader, but my first post @ Macrumors.

Short story: I want to know where a Windows equivalent of a "temp" folders would be in a Mac OS X (SL).

Long Story: I was trying to update MS Office for Mac. I had like a ~200 MB file downloaded. Launched installer and decided to install later. But Now I cannot find the Installer File to Launch the installation and install the update.

Its not in the usual Download, desktop folders. Spotlight cannot find the filename either. I did turn ON hidden files can't find it.

I could always redownload it and launch it, but being a new user, I want to learn about the OS and for future refrence I would want to know where the files end up. Also, I only have a 160 GB HD, so dont want to clutter unnecessary files.

Than you for reading.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Try clicking on "Today" (or yesterday) under the "Search For" menu on the left side of your Finder to see what files have been edited/downloaded today.

3. dumb thread starter macrumors member

Nope not here either. the only problem is my upgrade fails and I read in one of the forums, I need to modify one of the files in installer.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, that could be the way you find the first one. It's the old saw about losing one of a pair of something (shoes, earrings, etc.): close your eyes and toss the second one, see where it lands...

If the first download is still there, and you go through the same steps, paying close attention to what happens to it, the second one will get a "-1" appended to the name. Once you've found them, you can Trash one.

5. dumb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, MS Autoupdate says downloading, completes download and starts installer.....still not sure where the heck it is installing it from.

Oh wellI found the .dmg service pack 2 download on MS website, i guess I will try updating that way. I dont think I can learn OS X overnight anyways...haha

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, you said it wasn't in the "usual" downloads folder. That should be in your Users > your folder > Downloads where "your folder" is the Home folder associated with the login account that is active at the time of the download. Is that where you looked? Look again! And, Spotlight is lame.

P.S. Some people list their Mac products so that if they post a question, potential responders know what they've got.

7. dumb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Gregg2, I did look into the the default download folder Users/myname/Downloads not there. But Hey, I uninstalled/deleted the Mac for Office 2008, reinstalled and downloaded the service Pack from MS website then It worked.

P.S Time to change signature... :)