New to Mac OS X... Please Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMJustAGuy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Ok. I just purchased an iMac g3 to hold myself over and get used to mac os before I purchase a macbook in december. I have notice when you download a file it puts this "package" on the desktop then installs it. Can I delete this when I'm done and is there a way to automatically get it to go away? also I did try to delete it but the "install package" still shows up in finder. I dont want all these extra installers on the comp when i already have the program. Thanks in advanced and sorry if I didnt make since.

Im just kinda freaking out bc I am a complete computer "nerd" but have used windows based machines all my life. I thought I would be a pro at Mac OS bc of all the tutorials I have watched and my PC skills. But Im not going to lie I am pretty intimidated. If there is anything else useful you can tell me please go for it. Thanks!!

I am running Tiger if that helps.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

After the application installs successfully, you can drag the DMG file and\or the small hard drive image to the trash. As for the installation package itself, I usually save them on an external hard drive in case I have to reinstall the application for some reason. It's not necessary though - it's up to you. If you don't like keeping them around, drag them to the trash.

Regards.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

ok. thanks for the quick reply. even after i drag it to the trash and empty the can it still shows up. for example. downloaded flash, let it install, then deleted the file off the desktop, i go to spotlight, type flash, and the .pkg file named flash shows up under the "documents" category, i click it, and it is a fully functional installer file. why is this bc i dont want it? Thanks again! :D

4. texmacs macrumors newbie

May be its keeping the file in Trash folder. Did you try emptying trash and than see if the file is still there?

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

yes i tried that. I mean, its not a HUGE deal but I am OCD with keeping my system very clean and orderly. and actually just now i discovered something very interesting. I found a folder called "receipts" and there is a .pkg file for every app that is on my computer in there which is kinda cool, but then again is taking up hd space. i mean if i need to re-download something i can just go back to the web site. do you think its dangerous for me to be deleting files out of this folder?

6. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

another question that i have is under users, there is a folder called "applecomputer" , "dale" (thats me), "mac" (with a house beside it) and "shared" surely these arn't all users correct? and "mac" and "dale" both have folders called desktop yet contain different files not associated with my desktop..... i am confused.

7. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

you are messing in places you shouldnt! receipts should never be deleted ESPECIALLY ones pertaining to the OS that are not third party.

where exactly is the flash .pkg file located? once you drag it somewhere, for example the Trash, it stays wherever you put it. also there shouldnt be a .pkg left over from the flash installer, just the .dmg image.

8. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

also, did you install mac os x onto the computer yourself? if not, the previous owner prob has things on it that a new computer would not which could be tripping you up

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

well its that thing on a desktop that i can only describe from pc experiece as being a virtual "thumb drive" plugged in...does that make since.. thanks for all the help in these forums btw guys.

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

also whats the deal with this, anyone know.?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Users folder contains the users created on this particular Mac.
    Every user has the same folders as you, like Desktop, Documents, Library, Pictures, Music, Movies, ....

It's that way to avoid clutter and ease of use and backup.

If you don't need those other users, you can delete them without worries - except Shared, as the name implies, it is for sharing between users, and it has no Desktop or Library. Nothing important to you will be deleted, if you're the only user on this Mac.

PS: the folder Desktop contains everything (except the volumes and other drives) you have on your desktop. The other users might have a need for another desktop use, therefore they have their own Desktop folder.
    The Library contains files with preferences and support files for all the applications you use. It is stored under your user to save your settings, and don't let them collide with other settings.

There is also a Library folder under the root directory (where Applications and Users are), this on contains system wide settings not exclusive to one user.

12. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

very very helpful, THANK YOU. but what is the "applecomputer account" that has a little house symbol beside it when all the other "users" just have folder icons. im guessing thats the main one? similar to an admin?

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The "little house" is the currently logged-on user's Home directory. That would be you. The Home directory is a standard Unix method for organizing users and their personal profiles, apps, and documents. Most OS's, including Windows, have nearly the exact same structure to manage multiple logins.

If you have several, the question begs, are you the original owner? Or have you created multiple accounts on a new machine?

14. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

The OP must be using the same account from the previous owner and did not create his own which is most likely why it is confusing to him.

Every folder in the Users folder is a separate account on the computer, each with their own Documents, Movies, Pictures, subdirectories. There was more than one person using the computer you currently have. Whichever user's folder is represented by a house means that is the account you are logged into as.

Is there any important data you need on the imac, and did it come with install discs? I highly suggest you begin with a new install of OS X!

15. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

i purchased it off ebay, and the guy said it was a clean install BUT i noticed i didnt get the welcome screen to register or whatever and it booted straight to the desktop.

ok so i have the "house" that i named mac, also i guess its my user folder called "dale" then theres this one called "applecomputer" and no matter how many times i delete it it reappears almost INSTANTLY, with a folder called library inside and maybe 1 or 2 other things..
    so i thought maybe my itunes has a directory pointing to here and is creating the new folder on its own but apparently i was wrong i dont even know if it has anything to do with iTunes i was just guessing.

16. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

there is absolutely nothing i need but he said it was a clean install anyway AND i dont have any install disks, and it is not capable of running leopard even if i wanted to buy it :( (well i do want to buy it , lol, just sayin)

17. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I suggest you create a new admin user in the Accounts preference panel (with a different name than the previous one). Then logout of the current one and login in the new one you created. At that point you can delete the other user's home folders (you should see a folder with your new username, which you must leave where it is).

18. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

ok, will do, i think.. is it like windows where i click delete account and it deletes every file from that account?? THANKS!

MORE QUESTIONS YAY!! (and thanks to everyone AGAIN btw)

just a few things annoying me

1. Can you close dashboard, I NEVER use it and no point in it using resources.
    2. is there a ".com" keystroke (on windows its CTRL+enter)
    3. why does my dock settings always reset when i turn my mac back, like magnification for example, it always turns off.
    4. What in the world is automator?
    5. I know my comp sucks but it runs REALLY FAST,.....BUT is it too sucky to view itunes videos bc when i preview one on the iTunes store i can hear the audio but not see the video, i can see an outline of the shape of where the vid is supposed to show.

19. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

1. If you boot the computer up and never open Dashboard, it will remain "off" in a manner of speaking, meaning none of the widgets will load.

2. Are you using Safari for a web browser? you dont need to type .com, .org, or .net or the www for sites just the name of the site. If you simply type macrumors, or cnn or macupdate, it will take you to the correct site.

3. I guess you gotta explain that one a little more :p

4. It automates several repetitive and consecutive tasks that you create called workflows. The links below have a section on it.

5. It prob is.

You should read all this stuff!

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

20. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

About deleting the other users accounts:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1061.html

1) you can try this utility:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18204/dashoff
    or this one:
    http://www.ego-systems.com/Products/widgetsprefpane.html
    or disable it manually as explained here:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050723123302403&lsrc=osxh

4) A couple links about automator.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automator
    http://user.training.apple.com/lcmedia/il/tigerNew/tigerNew_t7.html
    You can also use the help in Mac OS X to learn more about it.

21. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

not just my dock but other stuff too. everytime i reboot, ill my favorites in safari on the bar across the top reset, adium acts as if i just installed reasking for all my users names, its like everytime my comp shuts down a lot of settings get reset. its weird, and very annoying.. and you were GREAT HELP btw.

22. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

in addition to my question the above thread, what the HECK is keychain

23. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Keychain is the password management system in Mac OS X. The OS store can store in a safe way passwords for the network, email, or else through the keychain application.

24. kolax macrumors G3

Try Googling any of the OS X Utilities you aren't sure of.