New to Mac OS.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VertPin, Jan 1, 2016.

1. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Any tips for beginners? I have been using Windows since 98. Any specific shortkeys?

Many thanks in advance! I LOVE this thing (have owned an early 2015 MBP 13 R since November)

Looking to become an advanced users, shortcuts, kernal, etc, administrator functions etc

2. zone23 macrumors 68000

3. Isamilis macrumors 6502

OSX do not need much admin skill to tune up and clean up like Windows. Most of the tune up tools available for Mac basically don't add much significant benefits over the standard tools from the OS.
    So, just enjoy the new experience. It's time for you to sleep well because you have paid more for this machine.

If you still interest more techie stuff, I would advice to learn apple script, and UNIX command line as it will help a lot for doing batch process (i.e. Copy bunch of files over network and do something else when completed etc). FYI, I was an Oracle DBA and UNIX Sysadmin few years ago. I have some virtual machines (parallel desktop) - Linux, OSX and Windows, JIRA and MySQL servers installed in my MacBook Air.

4. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502

VertPin

I am interested in learning more of the command line. I am a network administration major. It's been a while since I took a UNIX related class, and it was "intro to UNIX 140"...yeah. Pretty simple stuff.

5. bobdamnit macrumors regular

This is a very basic, but very necessary read for understanding the command line utility Terminal in OS X. Its short, sweet, and very informative. Give it a read.

http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/introduction-to-the-mac-os-x-command-line

Here is a basic cheat sheet of every basic command line parameter known with a description of what they do. It has all the ones you'll use the most, and a few that can get you into trouble. Use it mainly as a reference sheet.

https://github.com/0nn0/terminal-mac-cheatsheet/wiki/Terminal-Cheatsheet-for-Mac-(-basics-)

Finally, here is a complete A-Z list of every known OS X command line parameters, including the Unix shell in-built commands. Its a very comprehensive list with descriptions. A lot of these can get you into trouble if you use them incorrectly. Use this ONLY as a reference for when you see something you want to try but don't know what it does. (IE: Changing a users password with the passwd command.)

http://ss64.com/osx/

Knowing the command line extensively isnt required. Knowing how to use it proficiently isn't required but it will eventually help. You'll google an issue and someone will give you a command to enter into Terminal, and if you have no idea even how to get to Terminal, you're going to be head scratching and a little miffed.

As a beginner, I started with beginner things. Get comfortable navigating a folder structure inside Terminal. Changing directories can be quite a challenge, especially if you're stuck in single-user mode and do not have a GUI to help you navigate. Understand that you can jump from folder to folder without actually navigating through all the folders to get to the one you want. (Going to users > username > Documents > My stuff. You can actually go from any other folder DIRECTLY to that folder!)

Once you get that down, get comfortable copying/moving files and folders. This in particular can be a time saver. Once you understand the 'mv' and 'copy' commands, you can literally move millions of folders/files scattered almost anywhere in a few simple keyboard strokes. Much easier than hunting them down individually.

Finally, get to know some of the more advanced parameters. These are almost never used by most regular users. I use them quite often though. A lot of hidden settings for OS X are in these parameters. I'd tend to stay away from them unless you know what they're going to do.

To be honest, I'd put command line on the back burner for now and get to know how to troubleshoot your Mac. As an experienced Windows user, I'm sure you are used to troubleshooting your Windows PC's from time to time when they started to slow down. Mac's are no different and they will eventually need to be tinkered with. I'll give you a few OS X alternatives to the usual Windows counterparts.

Console: Task Manager for OS X. From here, you can kill a process job, view CPU usage, RAM usage, network bandwidth usage, etc.

Force Quit: More Task Manager related. It lets you quickly force quit a stuck application. Even has its own "Three-finger salute". (Command-Option-Escape)

Disk Utility: Not much like it on Windows. It allows you to format memory sticks, burn CD/DVD's, and much more advanced items. Depending on your version of OS X, you may use this frequently to repair permissions.

System Preferences: Control Panel for OS X. Inside here, you'll find a tab called "Accounts". Click your account name and then select "Start Up". This is "MSCONFIG" for OS X. Use this to deselect any applications that start with OS X.

All of these are very well documented online by Apple, so if you ever get stuck with something, answers are readily available.

Finally, welcome to OS X. I hope you enjoy your switch! It won't be long before you'll wonder why you stuck with Microsoft for so long. ;)

6. Macmark93 macrumors member

Macmark93

Hi, try to learn the keyboard shortcuts they will help you out the most, you can also create custom key commands on osx. Try to think that the command key is control on windows. It can get get confusing for windows switchers. So comand + c is copy and cmd + v is paste. Little things like that will help you the most.