New to Mac: Photoshop CS3 question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cheapa55, Dec 8, 2007.

1. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I am using leopard and Vista through Fusion. I have PCS3 for windows. Will it work in mac?

how can I open photos in PS while in Vista from the photo folders in Mac? Is there a easy way for me to edit the photos or am I going to have to buy PS for mac?

Thank you in advance

2. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

After my own experience with that topic, I can only highly recommend you to get PS for Mac. There is said to be a way to get a mac license for small money if you already have a mac version. But it seems to depend on who you are calling.

Here are the reasons why I suggest it. It is very likely that at some point in time you don't want to boot into bootcamp for just using PS. So you install some VMWare or Paralells. When you do that you get into activation issues. You can not activate PS in bootcamp AND in VMWare. And as far as I know, once you activated in one of them using the other one will destroy your activation.

(At least with VMWare) it is also annoying to always copy over your files you want to edit. And you can't use the full power of PS because it is running in a virtual machine. And the color management might not work correctly.

That is why I gave up using PS on Windows and only use it on Mac now.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Contact Adobe sales. I think, but am not sure, they might transfer your license for a small fee and send out new disks. Don't take my word for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

4. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Call Adobe and ask them to do a cross-platform license transfer. They will verify that your current window license and point you to a pdf (letter of destruction) on their website which you will need to fax to them. This indicates that you have "destroyed" your Windows discs and uninstalled it. You don't have to send anything back to Adobe. Just the fax. They will then send you a boxed version of Mac CS3. All you have to pay for is shipping and tax.

Just did this last Saturday and upgraded from Win CS. Faxed the form on Monday and got it on Thursday. Paid an extra $10 to get priority shipped ($25 total for shipping and tax), but well worth it.

5. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! So I guess bottom line is not to use with bootcamp or fusion, just do the transfer to Mac version?

thanks, I'll do as recommended.