New to mac please help me out!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jae Hokes, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jae Hokes macrumors regular

Well i just bought a Mac about a month ago, and im a little upset! I love the computer itself, the beautiful screen, the solid Operating System - But i feel like theres NOTHING to do on it! After i search the web, check my facebook and twitter - what else is there really to do? I search the Mac App store and its nothing like the IPhone app store in terms of organization or number of apps, and im just baffled seeing what a hard time im having trying to find things to do to get the max use out of my beautiful Mac - What do you guys do? What Games do you play? What apps have you downloaded to maximize your computer (Like i just downloaded BetterSnap Tool for aero snap), what are good progams to buy? Give me some Options and opinions, im always lookig for those downlow great apps that make your computer great, night the streamline evernote, vuze, dropbox etc - ALL INFORMATION WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Not being funny but you shouldn't have to search for things to do on a PC just because you have one, it should be used as a tool to complete things that you need to do anyway.

It sounds like your only requirement was to browse the web which a cheap netbook would have been able to handle for you. You can use the same mentality looking at a windows machine, after browsing the web and checking your facebook and twitter what is there to do?

I will be getting a Macbook at the end of the month and I will be using it for website design, photography and using Xcode for iOS development

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

What is it that you do? If you can't find anything else to do that's because you probably don't have anything else to do...

Cool/useful apps: BetterTouchTool, CloudApp, Caffeine, ScreenShader, smcFanControl,gfxCardStatus, Cabos, VLC, Wine, ....

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Start with figuring out what you need or want your computer to do for you.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you have a PC before? If so what did you use that for?

Many people have macs just to check their emails, surf the web.

Many other people use the Mac for writing documents, playing games producing spreadsheets, editing photos, music, and movies.

It all boils down to why you bought the computer in the first place.

6. Jae Hokes thread starter macrumors regular

I knew this post would sound silly, i bought this conputer to expand what i can do and really make this new mac have everything i need, but i look through the app store theres not many apps or games, i go in best buy theres barely any software for the mac, when im on it i look around for new cool things like i do on my iphone and i never really find much, i dowloaded age of empires 3 for it and that game sucks but games like that could ve cool..im a huge modern warfare fan but i play all my games on 360 (ps does anyone know how to greenpoison jailbreak verizon iphone 4.2.8?) thanks for all the input guyssss

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

If you are just new to the Mac, start off with the iLife suite of apps (if they are still included as free)

GarageBand - Make Music
    iPhoto - Photo Editing
    iWeb - Web Creation
    iMovie - Create Movies
    iTunes

Plenty of things to get going with

or search the web for Apps, the App store doesnt hold everything available