New to Mac...Please Help (sleep mode vs. shutdown)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MiamiHeatFan6, May 10, 2011.

1. MiamiHeatFan6 macrumors newbie

Hi, im a new Mac user, just got a Macbook Pro on Sunday, and so far I love it! However, I want to maintain it well, so I was wondering if it is better to put a mac in sleep mode over shutting it down...see, Im coming from PCs where shutting down is a must.....also, is it good to leave my macbook plugged into the wall for extended periods of time(a couple of days in a row)? Please, any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

2. gameface macrumors 6502

You can leave it plugged in but I would cycle the battery at least once a week to maintain its life. As far as sleep vs shutoff. My MBP and my Mac Pro are on 24/7 with the occasional shutdown. Screen sleep mode after 30 minutes but I leave them on almost all the time. If I am leaving for the weekend I will shut them off but other than that they are always on.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Please use the search tool before making extremely common posts like this. These sorts of things are frowned upon ;)
    As for your question, yes, sleeping is a lot quicker and more reliable. However, if you're going to open your MBP up and change some components inside, then fully shut it down instead of putting it to sleep. Sleep does in fact use electricity, albeit almost none. Shutting down uses completely nothing, but in normal day-to-day use, the difference between the power consumption is negligible. So just go with sleep, it's faster (just close the lid).

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

Macbooks don't need to be shut off. Neither do PCs (I don't remember turning my netbook off last year!). They sleep quite well. There are lots of settings you can play with to customize how this occurs. And, there is no problem with leaving it plugged into the wall.

I turn my Macbook off every night. It conserves power, and I don't find it terribly laborious to press the button on my way to the bathroom in the morning. It boots up in a few seconds and I am ready to go.

Enjoy your Macbook!

5. MiamiHeatFan6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I appreciate the help, and sorry about posting I'll definitely use the search bar next time. thanks again for the advice! :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many people use sleep and run without shutting down for weeks or months at a time. Either is fine. You shouldn't leave your MBP plugged in all the time, as your battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: