New to mac, Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ash06, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ash06 macrumors member

Hi there, I recently bought two new macs, one a MacBook Pro 15.4", and the other a 24" iMac, both running Leopard.
    These are my first ever mac computers, and i have to admit mac computers don't just look good, they're FAST! and the apps that come with them are simple, easy and powerful. I am very happy with both my new computers however i have encountered a few problems and can't figure out what i'm doing wrong? So hopefully you guys can direct me as to how i can overcome these problems?

1. In itunes, when i rip' a cd or import files, (i.e an album) off my USB flash disk and copy it onto the hard drive and them import the files into iTunes, sometimes, the album appears as 'many' in the cover flow view. eg, there is multiple covers for my Justin Timberlake album, where all the songs are off the same album?

2. I configured 'Mail" with my .mac trial account and email address, it worked perfectly for a few days, and now it doesn't work? Please help me here.

and 3. I downloaded Microsoft Messenger for mac, the latest version, and like mail, it worked fine for the first few days, however now it does not allow me to sign in whatsoever. Help?!

Sorry for the array of questions, but i am new to all this, and would really appreciate it if anyone could help me

Thanks

2. bluesjam macrumors member

1. Check that the album name is the same for all the songs from the same album.

2. .mac trial account is only free for 30 days so if the 30 days are up it will not work unless you buy the subscription for it.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

1. If I am reading this right, I believe that the problem is that you need to make sure that your music is properly tagged. At the very least with correct Artist, Album Titile, and Track #. This will keep all of your music well organized and help you to get the proper covers from itunes.

Or are you saying is that each song shows up individually in cover flow view with the same cover, which is kind of abnormal...I'd try highlighting the group of songs in your itunes list, and pressing Command I (for get info) and edit them all at once to say, for example:
    Artist: Justin Timberlake
    Album: Album Name
    and then put a tick mark in the album cover box and physically drag the album artwork there.

We'd need more info to help you with mail. What specifically isn't working?

I personally try to have as FEW microsoft programs on my mac as possible. MSN messenger is the last thing I'd install. If I'm not mistaken, the new ichat supports MSN messenger, you just need to set it up. So I'd ditch MSN messenger and use iChat for all your chatting needs. Another good program that supports multiple chat protocols is Adium.

Good luck and Enjoy your new macs (what'd you do hit the freakin lottery?! They must've cost you ~5000 bucks for those two machines! Buy me one for being the first to help you out!)

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

select the tracks from one album and get info. set compilation to 'yes' and hit ok

5. ash06 thread starter macrumors member

hey guys, thanks so much for your replys, this is literally the first time i'v posted in any sort of online forum

the itunes thing with highlighting the songs and setting them to be part of a compilation worked perfeectly ! thank you so much =)

however i am still experiencing problems with mail and msn, also ichat. I think its a problem with my network? any 'outgoing' programs that need to connect to the internet, don't seem to work?

any ideas? safari still works tho..:confused: