New to Mac, possible security issue .Spotlight-v100

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 182, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 182 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a flash drive which a lot of people have access to and I noticed that it has a .Spotlight-v100 folder on it. I was just wondering is this a security risk and what information could be obtained from this folder?

Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

not a security risk at at all! its just a folder that contains indexing information for Spotlight and whether or not the disk is excluded from Spotlight. every disk has this invisible folder.

3. 182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, does this folder contain information just on the files that are stored on the flash drive or also from the other Macs and PCs that it has been connected too?

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I get this every time I transfer files from my Mac to my PC using my USB drive. It's totally a Mac thing, and is specific to the Mac to which you've connected your drive. Of course, if you've connected to more than one Mac, there will be information on there from all of them.

If that worries you, delete the folder. It won't hurt anything, and won't slow you down. I dump mine all the time only because I never need it.