New to Mac Pro - Any tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by keithos27, Sep 13, 2010.

1. keithos27 macrumors regular

Hi everyone!

I'm about to purchase my first ever Mac Pro (6-core 3.33 GHz)! I've been using Macs for the past 7 years (MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iPods, iPad, iPhone, etc). I was wondering if there are any tips, tricks or any pre-cautions regarding the Mac Pro that you could share? Anything different about the Mac Pro that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

-Keith

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Buy all upgrades after getting the machine, don't proliferate Apple's 500% profit margins.

3. keithos27 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I noticed the steep prices.

Anything software-wise that is different?

I believe these run OS X natively at 64 bit, correct? What does that mean for me, the end user? What about my other software (iLife, 3rd party, etc)... what if they are not 64 bit, is that a "problem"?

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

They do not boot with a 64-bit kernel by default, but it is relatively easy to force it into doing so. Really, the benefits of the 64-bit kernel only reveal themselves when using a machine with > 4GB of RAM, so it's not a major concern for most people.

link

5. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

2010 Mac Pros boot 64-bit kernel by default.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is nothing you need the Mac Pro to do that your MacBook Pro probably did. The Mac Pro will just be faster.

So if you already had a Mac, and your workflow has not changed, there is no reason to buy new software.

7. goMac macrumors 603

No software problems. You can run 64 bit or 32 bit software no problem.

By 64 bit native, you likely mean booting the 64 bit kernel. This is really an implementation detail, and doesn't really matter for end users. Either the 32 or 64 bit kernel can run 64 bit software, it's really not that big of a deal. Your older Macs likely ran 64 bit native as well, just not 64 bit kernel, which is really not a big deal.

Just know that all your software is going to work fine.

8. keithos27 thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks for all of the replies. What about any issues with these newest generation Mac Pros to look out for? Fan noise, audio problems, etc?

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

10. keithos27 thread starter macrumors regular

Yikes! That seems like a big one to me. Has that issue been polled on this site by any chance?

11. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Look a bit and you'll find the thread.