New to Mac, problems with G4 1.5 15inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmwrider, Mar 22, 2008.

1. bmwrider macrumors newbie

I decided to give Apple/Mac a try after many yrs on PC's. Since I wasn't sure I'd like it, I got a used one. It ran fine for several weeks. I was liking it and decided to upgrade the RAM.

I bought a 1gig and installed it. This ran fine for a few days then it started showing only the upper memory (256) and 1/2 of the lower (512) or 768 total. I removed the 1gig and reinserted it. On restart it again showed the full gig. Then on the next restart it went back to the 768.

I just started using it this way and I a screen popped up telling me I needed to restart the computer. I did and it rebooted. Then a little while later the same screen came up. I restarted and this time it would not reboot.

It gives the chime and comes to the Apple logo with the spinning wheel. The wheel spins and spins and spins but it won't go past this. I tried reinstalling the original 256 memory boards. This didn't change anything, still boots only to the logo screen and spinning wheel.

Sure would appreciate some help with diag. or repair steps.

Thanks in advance,
    bmwrider

Anyone have some advice for me?

2. jshbckr macrumors 6502

This probably won't really be helpful, but I thought that RAM on the PowerBooks was SDRAM and was supposed to be installed in matched pairs...

3. bmwrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that may have been the problem. But I saw several Macs for sale that appeared to have unequal size ram boards, that is why I thought I could swap only one. I'll do some research and check on it.

However, if that started the problem, it now won't work with the two original rams installed. Anyone know what I need to do to get it to boot now? Or have I fried something?

Thanks for the info.

4. bmwrider thread starter macrumors newbie

I have confirmed that it is not required to install Ram in Powerbooks in pairs, so hopefully that has not been the cause of this issue.

Can anyone offer opinions of what may have failed?

Thanks in advance.

5. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Put in original memory and then try resetting pram on startup.

To do this press and hold P-R-option-apple on startup, continue to hold 4 buttons till mac chimes four times.

let go of the 4 buttons your computer should start up.

If it doesn't, then change battery on motherboard with new one.

repeat steps above.

--Eric
    :eek:

6. bmwrider thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give this a try as soon as I get home on Friday.

Thanks for the instructions.

7. bmwrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this didn't work. I even read about trying to boot it up with the internal battery removed. This didn't work either.

Anyone with other ideas? I've found a vague reference saying that it may be the hard drive but I don't want to just swap it out without a better idea that this is the issue.

Thanks for any tips.
    TE