Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
Morning/Afternoon to all.

As the title states, I am completely new to Mac & OSX.
I have ordered a new 13" Macbook Air 8gig/512ssd and was reading about the forum on installing Win7 using bootcamp. Win 7 is a must for me, and I will not be using any VMware if I can help it. I did not purchase one of the mac cd/dvd drives, but I was reading here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31012_7-20020513-10355804.html that I could install Win7 from a USB flash drive and install it using the tutorial the link provided.

However, I noticed that the tutorial was a bit old, and wondering if anything has changed using this method on the 2013 MBA (that has still not arrived yet.)

Thanks in advance to all that respond....
Kyp

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Nope, it is still good. If you have an ISO image and a USB stick, you are good to go.

What he said.

I installed Win 8 Pro via USB through the new EFI boot and it couldn't have been easier. I'm not sure, but Win 7 might be supported through EFI also? It loads up Windows in probably 5-7 seconds, it's pretty amazing coming from a 2-3 year old Window 7 laptop that could take up to 2 minutes to get everything booted up..

I just made sure all 3 boxes were checked when I started in Boot Camp and everything went smoothly.

InTheMist

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
Have you considered Parallels? It makes it soooooo easy to run Windows programs on the Mac. Still need the .iso image.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Morning/Afternoon to all.

As the title states, I am completely new to Mac & OSX.
I have ordered a new 13" Macbook Air 8gig/512ssd and was reading about the forum on installing Win7 using bootcamp. Win 7 is a must for me, and I will not be using any VMware if I can help it. I did not purchase one of the mac cd/dvd drives, but I was reading here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31012_7-20020513-10355804.html that I could install Win7 from a USB flash drive and install it using the tutorial the link provided.

However, I noticed that the tutorial was a bit old, and wondering if anything has changed using this method on the 2013 MBA (that has still not arrived yet.)

Thanks in advance to all that respond....
Kyp

what's your beef with vmware?

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
Have you considered Parallels? It makes it soooooo easy to run Windows programs on the Mac. Still need the .iso image.

I hav read reviews that go both ways on performance \ stability.
I need to connect to a domain and can do so with win7, but not sure if it will do the same in parallel mode. (I do reomte repairs in the field) as you can see in my profile, I am in the gulf of mexico on a rig.

Just wanna make sure I get get win7 installed without any issues.

SideNote: Has the wifi issue been resolved on the newer MBA's?

----------

what's your beef with vmware?

No issue, I just rather not....

Just want to make sure that whatever I do, it will be reliable.
I don't want create myself more trouble.

Also, the strict security policy implemented by the company I am currently employed by may not like the VMWare, as with XPmode in Win7.

Rather not take the chance, I nee it to work for me.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
SideNote: Has the wifi issue been resolved on the newer MBA's?

Which issue?

The only wi-fi issue my MBA has had is when I reboot from OS X into Boot Camp...wi-fi isn't picked up. If I boot into Boot Camp after a full shut down, wi-fi works every time.

The problems with wi-fi isn't near as widespread as a dozen people on an internet forum make it out to be..

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
That's good to know.

I've been packing this heavy laptop around for 3 years now and I wanted something lite.

Excited for the new unit!

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Is there any specific reason that you need a Mac? It seems like your emphasis is Windows and you're not willing to run parallels or fusion... for some reason?

I don't understand what it means when you say "my company won't like it".
Really I don't. Never heard of such a case.

But honestly op, with all due respect - it seems like what you need is a high security windows machine.

Why can't you use remote desktop on OS X?

I'm always the first to recommend anyone who's buying a new machine to go for mac, even though I'm a recent convert myself... but it seems like your emphasis is windows... and you're not open to parallels ?

Just sounds like a bad buy unless there are Mac native apps that you must use.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I take it to my classes inside a backpack and don't even notice it.

My books and notebooks for each class weigh more than the MBA..couple that with the amazing battery life - just awesome.

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
Is there any specific reason that you need a Mac? It seems like your emphasis is Windows and you're not willing to run parallels or fusion... for some reason?

I don't understand what it means when you say "my company won't like it".
Really I don't. Never heard of such a case.

But honestly op, with all due respect - it seems like what you need is a high security windows machine.

Why can't you use remote desktop on OS X?

I'm always the first to recommend anyone who's buying a new machine to go for mac, even though I'm a recent convert myself... but it seems like your emphasis is windows... and you're not open to parallels ?

Just sounds like a bad buy unless there are Mac native apps that you must use.

This purchase is not only for my personal use, I will also use it for work.

On the job, everything is windows based, and the company provides proprietary software as well as RSLOGIX 5000 and wonderware. Big dollars for that stuff and they will only purchase the software for windows based OS.

On the personal side of things, I'm just ready to try something else. Tired of the same ole windows issues. Just wanting to change. I know all systems have their issues, but hoping for a better experience with a Mac. I did not have to purchase a Mac, I chose too.

Kyp.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Parallels rocks.

Attachments

• parallels.jpg
    parallels.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 129

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
This purchase is not only for my personal use, I will also use it for work.

On the job, everything is windows based, and the company provides proprietary software as well as RSLOGIX 5000 and wonderware. Big dollars for that stuff and they will only purchase the software for windows based OS.

On the personal side of things, I'm just ready to try something else. Tired of the same ole windows issues. Just wanting to change. I know all systems have their issues, but hoping for a better experience with a Mac. I did not have to purchase a Mac, I chose too.

Kyp.

Makes perfect sense, and you will not regret getting the Mac. OS X is a game changer.

I'm still certain vmware will work wonders for you. You can get a trial version for free anyways to see how you like them. Fusion offers 30 days, and Parallels about 15 days.

Should definitely give it a go. The thing is that the New Airs are powerful enough and fast enough to handle dual OS with ease... or even more. If it doesn't work, well bootcamp is always an option.

But vmware works for most professionals - no harm trying, right?

good luck, and enjoy your Mac.

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
AXs
But vmware works for most professionals - no harm trying, right?

Yes, I guess I'm just judging the book by its cover……
But my fear is that I drive 200 miles, then fly an hour into the gulf, get to a platform and it not work. Or having to carry 2 computers with me in the field. Guess I will just have to try and see. I already have Win7Pro, with a clear key ready to install on the unit.
Time will tell!

Thanks for all the info guys....

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I was a bit hesitant when I switched to Mac 2 years ago, and I still run Windows. I do not, however, rely solely on Parallels (VM). I installed Windows in bootcamp so I can "boot clean Windows" and "go native". Some things work best that way. I was trying to configure a new HP printer, and for some reason the Windows VM didn't want to connect. I booted into Windows and the problem disappeared. If you rely on Windows, then installing it dual boot in bootcamp is really the best option.

Once you do that, you can install Parallels (or VMWare), and have it use the Windows partition to feed a VM inside of OS X. I do this because most stuff runs fine in a VM. If I find something that doesn't, I have the option of booting into native Windows.

I haven't needed to do that after the HP printer incident over a year ago.

It's nice to have the option though. And running VMs will let you run your Windows programs inside OS X without having to reboot. Parallels has this thing called Coherence mode, which makes the Windows apps appear in a window inside OS X. Very seamless and efficient. I am sure VMWare has the same thing.

I've read people swearing by both. I chose Parallels and have been mostly happy with them. They tend to be a bit slow in updating their software when new Macs come out, but for the most part it has been very reliable for me.

Good luck! You are going to love your new Mac. :apple:

Kyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
Gulf of Mexico
Oh, I didn’t realize I could have Win7 in bootcamp and run parallels.
Would using parallels require a second install of Win7? If not, then I am sure I’ll go that route.

Thanks for the insight.
Kyp

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Parallels and VMWare Fusion allow you to run the Win 7 Bootcamp while you're in OSX. Depending on proprietary software, it might run.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Oh, I didn’t realize I could have Win7 in bootcamp and run parallels.
Would using parallels require a second install of Win7? If not, then I am sure I’ll go that route.

Thanks for the insight.
Kyp

You might need to reactivate Windows when you run it in Parallels, but that shouldn't be a problem. Mine reactivated fine without having to call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.