New to mac, project for school...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Andrew83Ga, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

So I was looking forward to getting my mac in time to do some presentations for school and wanted to make them really snazzy. Then, when I got it on Friday, I realized I had not clue how to use it.

I'm doing a presentation on my travels for a spanish class and have learned now that i can use "iMovie" to make animated maps, add video clips, and have a photo slide show. This is perfect, but will I be able to open it at school using the PC's they have? I could burn it to a DVD but I'm not sure if they have DVD-ROM's in the classroom. Will it save in a file format that opens in windows? or can i convert it using a DVD converter type software and if so, which one is good? Popcorn(I want to start making DVD's from my torrent files too, do I need an outside app or will something in iLife work)? As you can tell I know nothing about computers, so I put all faith in your advice. Thanks you very much.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I won't tell you how to illegally download things and then burn them onto DVDs.

However, for your school project, you can save it as a .mov file which can open in Quicktime.

3. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

4. JKColo22 macrumors regular

Yea can't tell you how to convert your torrents, that's illegal. (Google search might be able to help you out there, though i'm assuming you will only do this with files that are *legally* yours!) As for iMovie, yes, you can burn the movie to a DVD and it should play fine in any DVD player. I've done this for school many times, just be sure to test it first! The help menu and tutorials in iMovie will be able to give you much more guidance than I ever could, that is a good place to start. Good luck!

5. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a million. Didn't realize the torrent thing was such a taboo subject here. Lesson learned.

6. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

People here are quick to accuse. Its perfectly reasonable to assume this gentleman has downloaded legal video files via torrents.

iDVD can author any video file you have to dvd, there are tons of guides on the internet for that. I've only done it once before and it was pretty pain-free.